Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What adhesive can stick tiles on tiles?

Amir77
Just Starting Out

What adhesive can stick tiles on tiles?

which Bunnings adhesive in Australia is suitable to stick Tile-over-tile on the shower wall 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What adhesive can stick tiles on tiles?

Hi @Amir77,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We trust you'll get loads of project help and inspiration from our wonderful community members. 

Apologies for the slow reply. I'm sure one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @EricL will be happy to recommend a product for you when he is back on the site later today. 

In the meantime, you might like to provide a little more detail about this project and what you are trying to achieve. Some photos might also assist members to see what you are working with. 

Many thanks for your patience,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What adhesive can stick tiles on tiles?

Hi @Amir77 

Tiling over  existing tiles is a good way to go as pulling old  tiles off is  normally a costly complete wall rebuild and needs re water proofing.

I used to score the face of the old tiles with an angle grinder in horizonatal lines just through the glaze so the new glue has some thing to key into for one and a extra bond  point.  But the new glues are very good and wont need this  step unless the old tiles cant be cleaned 100%

I Would use a regular high strength flexable tile adhesive . Just check the tile adhesive suits your new tile type for best results.

Davco 20kg SMP Evo Tile Adhesive I/N: 6650266 $27.90

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: tile

Hello @Amir77 

Thanks for sharing your question about tile adhesives. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, I also recommend having a look at the Dunlop 20kg Mastic Tile Adhesive. It's suitable for concrete, renders, screeds, medium density fibre-cement sheet (internal walls), plasterboard, ceramic tile underlay and compressed fibre-cement sheet (floors), Dunlop waterproofing membranes and prepared existing tiles (indoor).

It's always a plus to score the surface of the old tiles so that the adhesive will have something to anchor onto. But please note that tiling over existing tile means that you'll be increasing the height of the floor by the thickness of the adhesive and tile. This will impact the bathroom door, shower and floor waste. 

Here is a link to our best advice: Can you tile over existing tiles?

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your renovation.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Good  point on raising floor height  @EricL 

I think you have plumbing back ground what advice would you consider  for  raising  the floor wastes to new  tile  level? Inserts maybe?

Or trim the tiles and put a fake top waste cover  onto the tiles letting water fall into the old drain setup?

I am asking you  to  please advise me as much as @Amir77  to further my experiances too.

Hi @Jewelleryrescue 

Your suggestions are correct. The old waste needs to be removed and an extension added to the waste pipe to allow you to install new floor wastes. The sides of the extension must be filled with adhesive as well to prevent water from pooling in the gap. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects