Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix a toilet leak?

Flora1
Just Starting Out

How to fix a toilet leak?

We have a caroma slimline toilet which had a leak which was very noisy, we replaced the inlet valve and seated washer today which seemed to stop the leak, and is much better, however there seems to be a very slow leak, 

I wanted to ask could the slow leak possibly be from some form of left over from the original washer that will probably stop on its own.?  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a toilet leak?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Flora1. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing a leaking toilet.

It sounds like either the inlet valve is not adjusted correctly to shut off prior to the overflow being reached, or it's not working properly, or the outlet valve is not sealing. So, basically, I'd go back through assessing which component is the issue using this guide: How to fix a leaking toilet. Once you determine whether it's the inlet or outlet valve, you can check to see why that component is not working.

I don't think the slow leak is due to part of the original washer still being in place, and I don't think it will resolve on its own.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, 

I was thinking also could it be possible that the seated washer needs to be rechecked to make sure it is sealed in correctly leaving no gaps and would the area needed to be cleaned after removing old washer, which could potentially be causing the slow leak?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It could be @Flora1. If one side was smooth and the other had a ridge, it would be more likely that the washer was put on the wrong way. Try manually pulling up the inlet valve float to see if it stops the leak. If it does, the float height might need to be adjusted.

I don't think the area would need to be cleaned unless the old seat washer was so deteriorated that bits were stuck in place.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects