Workshop
Ask a question

Can you tile over damaged Gyprock?

newbeginner
Growing in Experience

Can you tile over damaged Gyprock?

If the gyprock paper coating is torn or damaged, can i tile over the top or does the gyprock sheet need replacing?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Tiling after removal of old tiles

Hi @newbeginner,

Thank you for your question about tiling over old gyprock.

Assuming the gyprock is still structurally sound, and it is just damaged paper, you should be fine to tile over the gyprock. If the internal gypsum is fractured and broken, it is likely better to replace the plasterboard before tiling.

If you had any photos, I'd be happy to take a look and offer my advice based on them. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images, I'm happy to help.

If you're confident that the gyprock is still structurally sound, start by addressing any low points by giving them a skim coat of Gyprock Multi-Purpose Joint Compound to give a nice even surface.

It is then important to use a primer such as this Davco Ultraprime to increase the bond strength of whatever tile adhesive you choose to use. 

You might like to check out How To Tile a Bathroom Wall for some guidance on the tiling process.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects