Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate my toilet?

Purplepolkiri
Just Starting Out

How to renovate my toilet?

Hello everyone,

New to the DIY game. A first home buyer, and feeling the sting of some surprises such as termite damaged floors etc. 

I am hoping to DIY makeover this bathroom. So far we havent spotted any asbestos in the house however I wanted to check if this is likely to be textured asbestos wall and ceiling. 

This house is a bit strange because some ceilings have texture others dont. 20240725_175419 (1).jpg20240725_175414.jpg

This is the 2nd toilet, I am hoping to get the toilets looking the same so planning on removing the texture and maybe do some paneling. Any ideas are welcome.

The walls are not insulated so I am hoping to put in a heat lamp too, does anyone have any recommendations? Put in a lamp/fan combo unit or leave the current fan and add just a lamp. 

20240725_171800.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Attempting to renovate my toilet DIY style

Hello @Purplepolkiri 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your bathroom renovation.

Just to be on the safe side, I propose having it tested by a professional asbestos remover. Once it's been determined to be safe removing it with steel scraper should not be an issue. In regards to the heat lamp in the bathroom, I recommend using HPM Single 275W White Bathroom Heater, it will be handy enough to heat the room during winter. 

But once winter is over, I suggest installing an Arlec 9W Tri-Colour Dimmable LED Downlight next to the heat lamp. This is an easy-to-use system as it is a plug in type, you can ask your electrician to put in a power point in the ceiling and the downlight can simply be plugged in. If it requires a replacement in the future all you need is a similar model with a plug on the end.

Here are some excellent toilet revamps our Workshop members have shared:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to renovate my toilet?

Hi @Purplepolkiri,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

I just wanted to reiterate what Eric has said and please do not take any risks in relation to asbestos. Members here on the community would be unable to identify whether your home has asbestos or not from photos. We would recommend testing of a sample of material by an accredited National Association of Testing Authorities (NATA) asbestos tester. For a NATA Lab List call 1800 621 666 or refer to their website at www.nata.com.au

You can find more information in the article Where might you find asbestos in your home?

Stay safe,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects