Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace toilet cistern and hoses?

threemonkeys
Building a Reputation

How to replace toilet cistern and hoses?

Is it practical for a DIY to replace an old plastic cistern? The main problem I see is the holes of the new cistern potentially not matching up to the old ones and the need to drill holes into masonry. I saw a YouTube tutorial for the model I'm looking at and the one I currently have, he had to drill new holes for it to fit. I've had trouble drilling in other areas in the property with the wall material being unpredictable, anything from it crumbling, to empty spaces that aren't supposed to have any services behind them, to not being able to drill deep enough into the brickwork to install anything that will support a decent amount of weight. I'm also worried about water potentially leaking or running and ending up in the downstairs apartment during the installation or if something about the installation fails.

Should I also replace the bathroom water lines with flexi hose given the old ones are painted and flaking, it looks like they're copper which discolours anything it runs into? Should I also replace the loo tap and metal pipes which look like would be at least 50 years old and pretty scungey looking? They're going to stand out like a sore thumb when I've repainted the bathroom.

IMG20240719233757.jpg

IMG20240723151345.jpg

IMG20240723144957.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace toilet cistern and hoses?

Hello @threemonkeys 

Thanks for sharing your question about replacing your old plastic cistern.

Because this project involves plumbing, it will be necessary to engage the services of licensed plumber. This cistern replacement project is very involved and there are quite a number of things to look out for and if installed incorrectly could lead to multiple leaks and poor operation of the cistern. Since you are replacing the cistern, it might be worth asking your plumber how much more it would be to replace the entire toilet.

Not only will it give your toilet a new look but will blend in with the new paint job. This is of course on the condition that it will fit into your budget. But if you can only afford the cistern at this time, replacing the fittings with a new modern set would not be out of place. You can use a flexihose to replace the old copper pipe a new cistern tap would be great and perhaps a new toilet seat to give your toilet a new look.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
threemonkeys
Building a Reputation

Re: How to replace toilet cistern and hoses?

IMG_20240919_161944.jpg

The plumber replaced the three-piece unit, I don't know what model that was but I sent him through the measurements and he didn't have to drill any fresh holes. It was a larger cistern that fit perfectly with a pretty decent high pressure flush, the old one was a bit sad. I probably could have done that myself had I known what unit I needed. He also replaced the flexi hose and I removed the paint from the tap and wall plate with some paint stripper. I just need to do a couple of little touch ups on the paint and install some PVC skirting and the loo will be done. It looks like a proper household toilet now instead of like a workman's outhouse.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects