Workshop
Ask a question

How to mount a tumble dryer on a wall with metal studs?

igorc
Just Starting Out

How to mount a tumble dryer on a wall with metal studs?

Hi all,

I'm contemplating mounting a new tumble dryer in my laundry on a wall with metal studs. Coincidentally, it is the same one as shown in this post here https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Bathroom-and-Laundry/Laundry-reno-working-around-stud-placem... (DE6060M2 Fisher & Paykel 6 KG Front Load Vented Dryer) which has heaps of good tips on the subject. Except in my case the studs are metal and would like to ask about an advise around wood and screws (both for fixing the brackets in the wood and the wood to the metal studs) choice. From the research I did seems that toggle bolts are recommended for mounting TVs to steel studs so wonder does the same apply here? What kind of wood and dimensions would you suggest for the support? Do I need a top and bottom piece in order to have the dyer leveled vertically (it comes with wall spacers to mount at the bottom part for that purpose so I guess yes)?

I have attached an image of the wall studs I took during construction, although not sharp enough hopefully it can help with the answers. Just to mention the distance between the studs edge-to-edge is around 1 foot. Please ignore the square power bracket in the picture it was moved to the far left stud in the final build.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and guidance, first time doing something like this and feel pretty overwhelmed with the task 😕

laundry wall studslaundry wall studs

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mounting a tumble dryer on a wall with metal studs

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @igorc. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about mounting a dryer.

Mounting a tumble dryer on a wall with metal studs can indeed be challenging, but with the right approach, it can be done safely and securely. However, it would be best if you were to consult with the stud manufacturer to ensure they are capable of having a dryer mounted to them.

For the wood choice, use a piece of plywood or a timber board at least 18mm thick to span across multiple studs. This will provide a solid base for mounting the dryer brackets. To fix the wood to the metal studs, use self-drilling screws, ensuring they are long enough to go through the wood and securely into the metal studs. Toggle bolts can offer extra support, especially for the weight of a dryer. You'll need at least two fixings per stud.

For fixing the brackets to the wood, use wood screws that are of sufficient length to provide a strong hold.

You might need to add an additional piece of timber at the bottom if the included spacers are not enough to level the unit.

Due to the risks involved, if you are not confident with the installation, I recommend you enlist the services of a professional to complete your project.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Mounting a tumble dryer on a wall with metal studs

Thanks for your reply Mitchell. Yes I can get a professional but where is the fun in that :smile:

I'm busy with some other "projects" atm but will post back when I get on with it. I have marked the studs and got the screws and the timber so it's all ready to go. I'm more concerned about my wife being unhappy if I screw up than the possible damage to the wall to be honest 😅

Thanks

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects