Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change toilet inlet valve if can't get to lock nut?

mscouf01
Finding My Feet

How to change toilet inlet valve if can't get to lock nut?

Hi all, my sleek toilet means I can't get to the lock nut on the inlet valve to change it as the old one is faulty. I have tried undoing the bolts inside the cistern using a flat head screwdriver but the nuts on them seem to spin freely after a while somewhere in the pan cavity. I can get them partially undone but that is about it. So close yet so far. Any tips on what to do next?? 

1000015595.jpg

1000015596.jpg

1000015597.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to change toilet inlet valve if can't get to lock nut?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mscouf01. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a close-couple toilet cistern.

It sounds like the capturing nut within the pan is spinning. Have you tried pulling up on the bolt whilst undoing it?

Is the inlet valve entirely broken? Is there a chance it can be repaired by replacing the washer?

Let me mention @dave1 and @Nailbag to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank Mitchell,

I replaced the inlet valve washer already but in doing so the float system broke and i haven't been able to access it to fix it so felt it best to go for a whole new inlet valve. Been pulling up as much as I can on the bolt while unscrewing, that has worked for a while but no longer and the head is becoming stripped. One of the bolts seems to be free, the other continues to turn. If I can't get any more traction i'm thinking I may have to cut the bolt with and replace, thoughts?

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @mscouf01 The toilet will need to be removed to access the underside of the bolt from the pan.

Check if the cistern is fixed to the wall from its inside or just has a bead of silicone around it. Both will need to be removed. The pan may have capped fixing on each side near the bottom, otherwise it will be just held in place again with silicone which will need to be cut through with a thin blade. The entire toilet will with pull straight out if the sewage connection is a rear one or directly up for a bottom mount. I had to do this myself just recently as shown by a plumber. I thought I needed to first remove the cistern but couldn't due to not being able to access the connection bolts. But it comes out with the pan. Just need some muscle and it pulled straight out.

Nailbag

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd be concerned that if you cut the bolt @mscouf01, you're not going to be able to screw in a new one, as the retaining nut inside will be occupied by the cut bolt. If you are unable to undo it, it sounds like one of the only options would be, as @Nailbag suggests, to remove the pan.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Amazing responses, thanks guys, makes perfect sense. No capped fixings, just silicone so will give that a shot. Thanks again! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects