Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it safe to mount a shelf for a dryer to sit on?

shaneaoz
Growing in Experience

Is it safe to mount a shelf for a dryer to sit on?

Hello everyone,

We're looking into ways to make our laundry more functional and with a top loaded washing machine we need somewhere to put our dryer that isn't stacked on top. We have the option of wall mounting but don't quite have the space to allow the door to open on any wall except the one pictured. Unfortunately there isn't quite enough room to get the wall mounts in as we've only got 52cm from wall to window, and 56cm from door to wall (excluding the trims). We thought instead we could install a shelf that is supported by large angle brackets which the dryer could fit on. I'm unsure about the strength, especially as the dryer will move around about when in use and don't want the whole thing coming down, but thought if I have multiple brackets they could provide enough support, and I can line them up with the studs. The shelf will be an old wooden bench top that's been cut to size, which the dryer used to sit on in a freestanding shelf so would be fine with the weight.

Any suggestions on how to mount it or if I should scrap that plan and just buy a front loaded for the dryer to sit on?

Pics including for the idea but not to size, the dryer will cover about 8cm of the window but that's fine as it isn't the side that opens and we'll still have room to use the door. The basin rarely gets used so will set the height based on where the dryer door is functional.

Cheers,

1000005226.jpg

1000005227.jpg

shaneaoz
Growing in Experience

Re: is it safe to mount a shelf for a dryer to sit on

Hey @EricL,

We could move it, but recently had the house painted so if we move it we would need to repaint the wall behind it. A small issue, but an issue nonetheless. Unfortunately, the only other spot for it would be where the current dryer brackets are mounted, so moving it isn't really viable. We like the space provided so going to a smaller one also wouldn't suit our needs, but worth considering.

I think we will need to install it on the opposite wall, as it looks like the dryer is about 2cm too deep to fit on the wall near the door, so the laundry door will hit the dryer door. 

Thanks for the information on the venting kit, I think it will be handy and still a cheaper temporary option for now. We were hoping to keep our current appliances but may look into a front load washer or washer/dryer all in one as they will suit the space better. We were just hoping to avoid the larger costs with replacing those but I'll see how mounting the dryer goes with the venting kit and move onto the next project!

Cheers,
Shane.

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @shaneaoz 

BTW :smile:

I use this (last page of the project) with a bench fan that blows air across the clothes airer. Minimal power for the fan and the clothes are generally dry with 4hrs use plus the rest of the night drying. Laundry retrofit No left over damp smells either even during winter.

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Wow Dave! @Dave-1 Nice job on the Laundry! 👍

Dave-1
Community Megastar

:smile: Thank you @Noyade 

The set of rules was reuse as much stuff as i could :smile: 

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon Shane. @shaneaoz 

"You can see the existing brackets which thankfully are the exact same needed for our model dryer."

Just some cornflake doodles from yesterday morning. Are they the type of brackets that require the human to pull the drier forward and lift at the same time, to disengage? I'm sure you're aware they may need some dead space (figure 2) to allow the reverse procedure, should you relocate them. Our PYE drier, which our eldest son dumped on us, had a hopelessly narrow bracket (figure 1) that allowed the drier to perform more rock-and-roll than Elvis Presley. In the end with a rubber mat on our front-loader  - I positioned it onto - with no dancing/gyrations at all.

You mentioned a back spacer (figure 3) - should be with your drier accessories? If not - easily made.

Cheers!

20240711_141415.jpg

shaneaoz
Growing in Experience

Hey @Dave-1 ,

Lovely work on the laundry! I know you said last page, but I had to check out the whole thing!

Sounds like we have similar mindsets with reuse as much as possible, we've also had similar experiences with circ saw kickback, definitely gets the heart racing!

I don't think I'd have room for anything like that in mine unfortunately. The pics show basically the entire laundry, minus the section I'm standing in so we just don't have the space to have anything hanging in there. Thankfully we do have an outdoor line and one that we can pop up under a patio, but with the weather at the moment nothing is drying very quickly outside so the drier is mainly used to finish things off come the evening. Still need to figure out how I'll set it up for now, but yours has given me some more ideas longer term when we do a more serious upgrade to the space!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Shane.

shaneaoz
Growing in Experience

Hey @Noyade ,

Love the drawings! I haven't had a really good look at them, but I believe they are the ones similar to what you've shown except you can lift the machine off by lifting it straight up before bringing it forward, so no need to pull the dryer forward at the same time. It is actually 2 separate pieces that need to be placed the correct distance apart on the wall, so it would have been great if our dryer fit as we don't need to measure it out to get it lined up again. The slits in the dryer are only 1cm wide so I don't think it will be performing like Elvis but we won't know until it's up on the wall! 

Thanks for sharing the info though, I'll need to have a think about if there is enough space above the dryer so we don't end up banging it into the ceiling to get it on and off...

Cheers,
Shane.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @shaneaoz I know the type of brackets you have. If you measure out the top of the slots in your dryer and then add 60-80mm should be plenty of headroom clearance to the ceiling to manipulate it on to the hooks. Because the slots in the dryer are so small and unforgiving, it helps to measure out and tape to the left wall a timber to rest against as you slide the dryer up in to position. It also saves that was from being dinged!

Regards, Nailbag.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects