Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it possible to replace the flapper valve on my flush mechanism or do I need to buy a new one?

Jack6
Just Starting Out

Is it possible to replace the flapper valve on my flush mechanism or do I need to buy a new one?

We've had a small leak of water into the toilet bowl for many months now. Pretty sure the toilet is a caroma stylus. 

I've confirmed that the leak is due to the flushing mechanism by switching it to another toilet in the house (same type).

Pictures are attached; I just can't figure out how to remove the bottom rubber washer (to replace it) and some sites suggest that I will need to replace the entire mechanism for this model which is a reasonable cost. 

So am I being stupid and the rubber seal can be removed/replaced or do I need to buy a whole new flush mechanism?

1000027603.jpg

1000027604.jpg

1000027606.jpg

1000027608.jpg

1000027602.jpg

1000027605.jpg

    

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is it possible to replace the flapper valve on my flush mechanism or do I need to buy a new one?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jack6. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing an outlet washer.

I haven't personally come across an outlet valve before where you can't replace the washer, but I guess there is always a first. Typically you just pull the rubber off the white fitting, though I suspect you've already given that a go. You normally need to stretch it to one side before pulling it off the white retainer.

If you take a look at this guide on How to fix a leaking toilet, in step 3 you'll see the washer being taken off. As mentioned, though, I'm only familiar with replaceable washers.

It's difficult to track down information, as I'm unsure whether that outlet valve has a specific model name, as it's only listed as the outlet valve to suit Caroma Stylus etc.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects