Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Iconic privacy door knob set leftover parts?

JT2
Finding My Feet

Iconic privacy door knob set leftover parts?

Hi

I have a small long brass lever left over one pointed end and one right angle end about 70mm long? Installation instructions don't mention it. Does anyone know what it is and where it fits my locking system doesn't work

Jt2

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Iconic privacy door knob set leftover parts?

Hi @JT2,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fabulous to have you with us.

Is it possible to get a photo of the part you are referring to? Also, which specific privacy set have you purchased?

Once you've provided an image of the part, I'd be happy to advise further.

Let me know if you need a hand uploading images, more than happy to help.

Jacob

JT2
Finding My Feet

Hi Jacob

Thank you.

Herewith pic attached.

The product I'd the Iconic black privacy door knob set.

Rgds jeff

20240910_153657.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JT2,

It's a release tool for the door handle. There is often a slot in the door handle that this tool is placed in to get leverage for removing the handle.

It isn't part of the mechanism, so it is not the reason for your lock not functioning correctly.

Is it possible to get some photos of the door handle? This would help our members troubleshoot the issue so we can get your door handle working as it should.

Jacob

JT2
Finding My Feet

No I don't think so as mine is knob set not a handle. I additionally have an outside lock key in case a child gets locked in I suppose. 

Pic of knows attached.

Much appreciated 

Jeff

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JT2 

I've placed an image below to show you where the tool is used. There is an access hole that allows you to push the release pin on the knob allowing you to disassemble it in case of an emergency. This is an Iconic privacy door knob and it does not need the tool to function properly. One possible reason that the door knob will not function properly is that one side has been installed in the locked position, I suggest disassembling the unit and reassembling it outside of the door to make sure both sides are facing in the correct position.

Once you have the correct position in place, install the door knob exactly in the same direction with no changes. Make sure to test it before screwing it in permanently.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JT2
Finding My Feet

Thanks Eeric

I will try and reset tomorrow  and advise.

Knd rgds Jeff

JT2
Finding My Feet

Hi eric,

I have dismantled again. How do I line up both sides and also ensure the unit is in the unlock position as there are no markings on the unit.

Rgds Jeff

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JT2,

If it's a privacy set, then you would turn the knob holding its base on the finger lock side anti-clockwise. That will unlock the handle. If it's an entrance set, you can unlock it with the key by turning it anti-clockwise. On the handle for the inside, you can do the same as the privacy set to unlock.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

All Sorted Thanks team great support

Knd Rgds

Jeff

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects