Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to utilise fixing point hole in shower that’s no longer needed?

Doozyfix
Finding My Feet

How to utilise fixing point hole in shower that’s no longer needed?

We are upgrading our shower rail and showerhead system in a double shower. Both rails fixing points measure at 72 cm apart. We are having a hell of a time finding a replacement rail with these measurements for fixing point. I have seen a lot of cheaper, nicer shower sets that measure about 10 cm less than what these measure at. I figured that it might be a good idea to try and find something that could utilise that fixing point like a soap holder or hook of some description. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.🙏 

IMG_1163.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to utilise fixing point hole in shower that’s no longer needed?

Hello @Doozyfix 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your shower rail.

If you already have a shower rail in mind, the hole at the bottom is therefore no longer useful, I suggest covering it with PC Products 57g PC Marine Epoxy Putty. It works on tiles and most plastics. My best advice is to use only what you need and make sure to feather the edges so that it goes on flat and smooth. Please note that it will dry slightly off white and will not match your tile or shower wall covering.

Your idea of using that spot as a soap holder is an excellent idea. This of course is on the condition that it does not make contact with the shower rail set. I propose having a look at the Caroma Chrome Cosmo Soap Holder. It is a single post soap holder and is centre mounted and does not require a second mounting post.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Doozyfix 

Have to say that is a brilliant drawing! And really helps solidify what you are thinking.

I like the idea of a soap holder on the bottom hole, tho if its too low people could be tempted to put their feet on it and not sure how one screw would hold up to that level of pressure.

@EricL 's suggestion of filling the hole also works and means you would have no worries about future issues.

Re-reading your question about the nicer looking rails that are cheaper. I would probarly go for a known brand that has a knowledge base of how to install. Otherwise you may end up with more holes then you have already. 

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Doozyfix as @Dave-1 mentioned, awesome details on your sketches!

Unfortunately nothing in bathroom fittings is standard, so finding an exact solution to replace the existing fittings and covering all holes is highly unlikely. This leave two solutions, one of which @EricL has covered very well. The other is to replace the affected tiles. But this has the added issue of effecting any waterproofing. This can be resolved by enlisting the services of an accredited shower and grout repairer who can replace the removed grout with an epoxy and cover the wall with a waterproof seal.

Regards, Nailbag

Doozyfix
Finding My Feet

I’m leaning more towards a hook actually. Something to hang your Loofah on! Raman a soap pod because Dave–1 has identified, It may be too much of a temptation for people to put their feet on. I do feel that there’s never enough places to hang scrubbing brushes, loofahs and other personal cleaning items. I do like the idea of Eric’s, but I’m also concerned that the white tile colour will not match the repair and it will be obvious to anyone who enters the bathroom that this has been repaired- especially with two Shower rails in the One shower. Thank you all for the compliments on the drawing. It is very much an amateur effort, although helped to get the message across 😂

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Doozyfix 

Please keep us updated with your progress. We look forward to seeing your new shower rail installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects