Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to turn off water in a shared complex?

ash97
Just Starting Out

How to turn off water in a shared complex?

Hi! I live in a complex of 10 units where we all share water. I’m looking at doing total reno’s in my bathroom and want to turn the water off just for myself. I’m pretty sure that I can’t but I was wondering if there is anyway to turn the shared water off, removed taps, sinks and shower heads then use something to stop water flow to just my unit once the shared water is turned back on?

Thankyou for any help you can give!

I’ve added a photo of our hot water unit (has since been replaced) but would turning these 2 taps off be turning off both hot and cold for just my unit?

IMG_0527.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Stopping water in shared complex

Hi @ash97,

I'd recommend you speak with a plumber about installing an isolation valve in your unit. If they can access the main hot and cold water line coming into your apartment, they may be able to install valves that will shut off your water. This would be the most convenient option moving forward with your renovation. Otherwise, you'd need a plumber to cap off all your fixtures once they've been removed.

I wouldn't suggest you attempt to turn the building water off without first speaking to a plumber.

I'm unable to advise whether turning those two taps off would isolate your unit, but it's certainly a possibility. Best to speak with a plumber if you are unsure.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects