Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I refinish this bathtub with peeling paint?

RayB
Finding My Feet

How do I refinish this bathtub with peeling paint?

Wanting some advice. 

In our apartment the enamel bathtub has been repainted. The paint is coming off and has exposed a black section on the bottom that I think is rust that has been treated and then painted over. Any suggestions on how to refinish it and the steps and products to use?

1000010906.jpg

1000010905.jpg

1000010904.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I refinish this bathtub with peeling paint?

Hello @RayB 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about painting your bath.

There are two products you can use to paint your steel bath Rust-Oleum Tub And Tile Refinishing Kit and White Knight 500ml White Tub And Basin Paint

Because the paint has started peel off, I suggest using a random orbital sander to remove all of the old paint. Since the rusted area has been treated, I suggest sanding it until all the rust has come off. I propose using a shop vac to clean the bath and a clean rag to wipe off the surface of the bath. Please make sure to follow the instructions of the paint product you'll be using. 

To protect the walls and floor you don't want to get splashed with paint, I suggest using drop sheets in combination with masking tape.      

I also suggest having a quick look at this featured project - Budget bathroom makeover with painted bath and tiles by @raceytrace

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a bath

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint rated mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RayB
Finding My Feet

Re: How do I refinish this bathtub with peeling paint?

Thanks for your advice, I will check out your suggestions

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects