Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to secure toilet roll holder?

HD
Finding My Feet

How to secure toilet roll holder?

IMG_0678.png

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have this annoying toilet roll

holder, which not matter how many times I tighten the screw, keeps falling off. 

I’d like to secure it permanently but not make it impossible to get off one day if needed, so I’m thinking that gorilla glue etc is off the table.

I have seen in America some people use removable thread adhesive but can’t seem to find the same here. 

Any suggestions welcome please - otherwise I fear I may throw this thing across the room one day. 

thank you 

ps. Apologies it looks so filthy - promise my bathroom is clean!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Advice on how to secure but not make it impossible to remove?

Hi @HD,

Looking at the wall bracket, you can see that the centre at the top appears to be slightly rolled down, whereas the bottom is fairly flat.

It might seem like a simple solution, but have you tried simply turning the toilet roll holder, so the grub screw is on the bottom of this bracket?

It looks like part of the problem might be that the grub screw is hitting a curved surface on the top of the bracket.

You could also apply some Thread Seal Tape to the grub screw before screwing it in. This will help create more friction between the grub screw and the thread in the toilet roll holder, but still allow it to be removed when required.

A combination of these two things should give you a better hold.

Allow me to tag some of our knowledgeable members to see if they have any other ideas, @Noyade, @Dave-1, @Jewelleryrescue.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Hi  @HD 

@JacobZ    Is right i think the grub screw should be underneath the rail as sometimes the mount is designed for the grub screw to hit a flat surface.

The mount you show in photo is the right way up as the  it  SAYS 'UP' so thats almost confirming the grub screw needs to be mounted from underneath and my make a big difference to holding it in place. But even the best mounted  rail will need a  look at if it is being swung on.  I slipped on tiles once and grabbed the rail to safe my butt. So life happens it was a  little bent after that but fixable.

1 First try mounting rail  with the grub screw pointing down this should help greatly ( do both ends make  sure mount says up both ends. or examine them to match each other )

2  Use a drop of locktight on the thread as you need,   Or some times a drop of clear nail polish on the outside of the  screw  will stop the screw self unscrewing (not on thread) Handy tip  for many screw applications.

3 If the  rail is constantly being swung on ie used as a  hand  rail or kids etc  the bracket lugs may have being bent slightly out of shape. If you think the rail is loose pushing it on with out doing up  grub screws,  I would tap with a  hammer the metal bracket flaps only to approx  0-5mm open starting with the bottom flap hammer tap gradually and test as you go  for snugness so when mounting the towel rail it is naturally firm fit before  grub screws do up (loosen grub screws before  hammering to feel for natural firm fitting between the mount and bracket.)  If you over open flaps  simply tap them closed ever so slighly so every thing fits snug.  

Hope this leads to a more stress free rail/  :smile:

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @HD 

Going through @JacobZ 's explanation makes perfect sense. (The scews dont pull out of the wall do they?) 

My first step would be to follow his suggestions and have that grub screw turn down to a flat surface instead of the rounded one. I probarly wouldnt use loctight on it at this point until you know its worked.

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to secure toilet roll holder?

Morning @HD 

How did you get on?

To my thinking - there are two angled notches in the shell that should receive two angled ends in the wall plate.

Like this...

20240806_081827.jpg

The conical head grub screw should then turn, extend and spin forcing the bottom of the shell against the wall.

In other words, that bottom lip should not be straight.

If that makes any sense.

20240806_082821.jpg

I would steer away from any Loctite with the grub screw.

Cheers!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects