Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of glue is best for sticking a plastic shower handle onto the metal edge shower door?

SelinaKyle
Just Starting Out

What type of glue is best for sticking a plastic shower handle onto the metal edge shower door?

Hi, 

my shower has a glass slide door with a metal edge. On either edge it has plastic brackets holding a towel rail in between. Each plastic bracket is help in place with a flathead pin into the metal of the door frame. 

The flat head came off one of the pins and I want to reattach it with glue. 

Which glue should I use? I need something water proof, maybe flexible as the bracket that came off also sticks out into the shower as a handle, and run or drip. As I state above this is for between plastic and metal. 

Thank you for any help in advance!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What type of glue is best for sticking a plastic shower handle onto the metal edge shower door?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @SelinaKyle. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about re-attaching a shower handle.

You might like to post some images of the handle and where it is to attach so our member have a better understanding of what you're working with. Let me know if you need a hand uploading photos.

Epoxy glue would be a candidate. However, it does have some limitations. If the two surfaces are smooth, it could be best to key the surface with some 60-grit sandpaper. By roughening the surface, the glue will have a better chance of adhering. 

The best method of reattaching the handle is through mechanical means, so if the flathead pin was repairable, that would be ideal. Once we see some images, our members might have some suggestions on how to do so.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SelinaKyle
Just Starting Out

Re: What type of glue is best for sticking a plastic shower handle onto the metal edge shower door?

IMG_6920.jpeg

IMG_6921.jpeg

IMG_6922.jpeg

The last photo is of the bracket that is still attached. 
The pin head is gone on the bracket that came off, the pin is still there. 

Any help to know what glue to buy would be helpful 

Hi @SelinaKyle,

It appears that the pin was a pop rivet. You could enlist the services of a tradesperson to drill out the portion that is stuck in the frame and the handle and then rivet it back in place. I wouldn't advise you to try to do this yourself, as you would need to drill in close proximity to the glass, and the chances of breaking it are quite high.

Alternatively, if the handle is a reasonably tight fit, I believe Selleys 24ml Araldite Ultra Clear Epoxy Glue would have a good chance of holding it on sufficiently.

When working around glass, it's important to wear PPE, including safety glasses, cut-resistant gloves, a long-sleeved shirt, trousers and enclosed footwear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects