Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal very small gap between shower frame and floor tiles?

RP1988
Finding My Feet

How to seal very small gap between shower frame and floor tiles?

Context: 
In our bathroom the shower frame has a small (~1mm) gap to the tile floor on the shower side (the frame sits flush to the floor on the other side). Somewhat hard to see but photo at end of post shows the small gap, which runs along the entire frame from wall to wall.

The issue is that residual water from the shower is collecting in the gap and it is creating a damp environment where moth fly larvae are now breeding (they are not in the drain or any other place in the bathroom). 

Question:

Can I simply disinfect and clean the area, dry out the gap using a hair dryer and then apply a wet area silicone to fill and seal the gap? Would doing so create any issues?

Thanks!

IMG_2034.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal very small gap between shower frame and floor tiles?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RP1988. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about sealing a gap.

There are no issues with your plan and the frame should have likely had that gap sealed with a wet area silicone after installation. Here's a helpful guide: How to apply silicone sealant.

I'd suggest allowing the gap to dry out by itself. Shower glass can be quite unpredictable, and I'd hate to see the heat from the hairdryer shatter it for some unknown reason. Also, be extremely careful working around the glass, as it can shatter with just one knock. Please wear protective gear, including safety glasses, cut-resistant gloves, a long-sleeved shirt, trousers, and enclosed shoes.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to seal very small gap between shower frame and floor tiles?

Thanks very much Mitchell - much appreciated!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects