Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal off old washing machine outlet pipe?

threemonkeys
Growing in Experience

How to seal off old washing machine outlet pipe?

IMG20240721024213.jpg

I'd like to get rid of this old pipe, it's on the wrong side of the room for the machine and I'd like to put a cabinet in this area instead. How do I seal it off, is it just a screw on plumbing fitting? Is there a way to remove it completely patching up the wall or at least get it flush? 

I also need to install a substitute on the other side of the room, maybe draining into the shower pipe?

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to seal off old washing machine outlet pipe.

Hello @threemonkeys 

Thanks for sharing your question about your outlet pipe. Because there is a sink trap attached to the pipe work, it's safe to say that it's linked to the sewer drain system. 

Covering it up is straightforward and that means capping it off. But if you are planning on using it for another purpose, you'll need to engage the services of a plumber as it involves plumbing work which needs to be done to code.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @threemonkeys,

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, like @redracer01 has said, as this trap will likely be connected to the sewer system, it is important that a licensed plumber carries out this work for you to ensure it is up to code.

You might like to have a look at a service such as HiPages or True Local to find someone in your area to assist.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Thanks I've got a plumber coming out next week. The pipe goes through the wall, outside the building and attaches to the drain pipe for the showers which runs down the side of the unit block. Effectively the water from the washer would have been draining into the shower pipe had it been in a usable spot. At the moment I'm just putting the hose in the shower pan and letting the washing water drain there because an extension hose isn't practical in that space, it was a really awkwardly placed pipe and everybody else in the block is ripping theirs out. 

I was wondering since there are those plastic screw fittings if I was able to unscrew it at the wall one and replace the pipe part with a top piece to cap it off until I get around to having a builder patch the wall. I want to put in some cabinetry and the pipe part of the setup is in the way.

I will have to see a plumber about setting up another pipe into the shower drain so I can fix it permanently, but in the meantime the pipe is holding up the rest of the renovation.

That sounds like something the plumber can do for you, @threemonkeys. Removing, changing, adding to, or capping off this pipework is considered plumbing work, which requires a licensed plumber. We are unable to advise on what you can do with the pipe.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects