Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix aluminium panel corrosion caused by cleaning chemical?

KMac89
Finding My Feet

How to fix aluminium panel corrosion caused by cleaning chemical?

IMG_2922.jpeg

I accidentally damaged the aluminum panel in my shower. This was caused by a cleaning chemical. Please can you help me how I can fix it?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to fix aluminum panel corrosion caused by cleaning chemical

Hello @KMac89 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your shower aluminium frame.

The cleaning chemical has stripped the cover layer of the aluminium frame. Due to the intense heat and moisture generated inside your shower cubicle any paint used on the shower frame will not last long in that environment. It is technically a cosmetic damage and will not affect the performance of your shower frame. I suggest engaging the services of a shower installer who might be able to resurface and polish that part of your shower frame.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you, @EricL !

are you able to recommend products I can use to DIY? Maybe spray paint?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @KMac89,

As @EricL has mentioned, there are no paints designed to withstand the high-humidity environment of your shower stall. 

You could try sanding the area with wet and dry sandpaper to make its appearance more uniform. You'd then likely need to polish the angle to restore its shine.

Be very careful working around glass as it can shatter easily. Wear PPE, including safety glasses, a long-sleeved shirt, trousers and enclosed footwear.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you both @MitchellMc @EricL  sanding the area and painting using pen paint worked. :smile: thanks again!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects