Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace the washer in shower tap?

EdmundChow
Finding My Feet

How to replace the washer in shower tap?

Hi to all,

I am not able to unscrew the rest of the parts to get to replace the washer for my shower tap for the fear of breaking the pipe. I tried using a mallet and tapping on the handle of the tap spanner but it wouldn't budge. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice. 

20230225_121836.jpg20230225_121813.jpg

Re: How to replace the washer in shower tap?

@MitchellMc @Is there a tool with reverse thread i can use to remove this extender!

17232618111336774961890311677454.jpg

17232618274933890035740961379378.jpg

17232618379976968012096721839335.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for those pictures @Thiw. The valve washer is definitely locked behind the extender.

The extender is screwed in clockwise and is removed by unscrewing it anti-clockwise. No special tool is needed, and typically, you'd use a pipe wrench. However, the front edge of the extender looks very close to the tiles there, and I suspect you'll have trouble getting any tool onto it. Does the extender extend out past the tiles so you can get a grip on it?

These tap spanners might not go up large enough to fit onto the extender, but they could be worth a try. The largest bit is 29mm. I'm not convinced that you'd even be able to get one of these onto it, and the tile is not cut back far enough.

Tricky situation. Let me mention some of our expert troubleshooters @Nailbag, @dave1 and @Noyade.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Thiw 

This is a toughie. First thought is to measure across flat to flat and see if there is a socket that will fit. This may turn out to be one that @MitchellMc @mentioned. Otherwise look to a mechanics socket which are available individually. 

If one is available use a Kango multipurpose drill bit slightly larger in diameter to the sockets width. Then drill a series of holes around the extender to enlarge the opening to accomodate the socket and remove the extender. 

If this doesn’t work, then considering replacing that single tile wouldn’t be a big concern. Unless of course one of the other community brains has better ideas. 

Nailbag 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

As per the good suggestions above.

If @Thiw applied Loctite 222 to the threads - and reinserted the spindle, and left to dry - is there a chance the extender will be removed with the spindle with the next attempt?

Just a thought.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Before the sun sets @Thiw  - I played around with my 'extended' shower taps.

I'm sure there are many variants - but mine were easily grasped with a 30 mm tubular socket that requires only 2.5 mm circumferential clearance.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers!

20240811_164955.jpg

20240811_165339.jpg

20240811_165557.jpg

Hi @MitchellMc !

"The valve washer is definitely locked behind the extender."

Late yesterday - until I read that - I was absolutely certain you could remove the washer through the extender with long-nosed piers.

Until this morning when I was playing with a spare one.

Never doubted you for a second! 😁

So when I change my shower washers - the extender must be coming away with the spindle.

Never took notice before.

Live and learn.

Cheers.

20240812_090313.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects