Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace the washer in shower tap?

EdmundChow
Finding My Feet

How to replace the washer in shower tap?

Hi to all,

I am not able to unscrew the rest of the parts to get to replace the washer for my shower tap for the fear of breaking the pipe. I tried using a mallet and tapping on the handle of the tap spanner but it wouldn't budge. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice. 

20230225_121836.jpg20230225_121813.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing the washer in shower tap

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @EdmundChow. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a copper fitting.

I'd suggest spraying some WD40 around the outside of that fitting and trying to get it around where the threads start. You'll be spraying it around where you can see the red section. Hopefully, some might penetrate into the threads. Wait a few hours and try again. Repeat this process for the rest of the day. 

If this doesn't help, you'll be left with using force to undo the fitting. There is a chance that you could damage the pipe in this process, which wouldn't be great, given it's a brick wall. Alternatively, if you are concerned, I'd recommend you enlist the service of a qualified plumber.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Edmund  If the pictures posted are from your tap you dont unscrew any more the last piece sticking out of the wall is soldered to the pipe. If it is leaking behind here you probably need a plumber. You need to use a pair of long nose pliers to grab the end of the tap washer (brass rod you can see) and riggle it out it is not screwed in just sitting there. Make sure you get all of it often some of the old washer will break off as you pull it out. Once you have it out use a torch to check the seat (the brass bit it sits up against) is smooth with no chips out of it. If it is chipped that may be the cause of your original leak and you will need to rheam it (smooth it out) you can buy a cheap kit from Bunnings. The new washer just sits in the end of the spindle (bit you have already un done) make sure you have the tap spindle in the on position and use plumbing tape on the thread when you put it back together. JDE

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @JDE,

You could quite well be correct there, but given @EdmundChow would have likely pulled the valve out if it were accessible, I presume something else is going on here. If you take a look at the extended spindle shaft and then the wall fitting again you'll likely note that both the spindle and the wall fitting have been extended, probably with a Kinetic 15mm Wall Tap Spindle Extender. You can see the red fibre washer where the two threaded sections are joined together. There's a good chance that the valve is captured behind the threaded extender as per my above post.

Mitchell

EdmundChow
Finding My Feet

Re: How to replace the washer in shower tap?

Thanks to all, 

The leak stopped when I screw back the spindle.

I haven't replaced the washers yet. The shower tap had been used for 6 years without a change of washers so I figured let sleeping dogs lie.

I might call a plumber if things get worse

That's great to hear @EdmundChow. Let us know if things change, and please feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the home and garden; we're here to help.

Mitchell

@EdmundChow Did you end up changing this wahser. Im having the same issue just wanted to know if you did manage to change it later!?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Thiw. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks jumping into the discussion.

Hopefully, @EdmundChow can follow up if they did end up changing the washer. Do you have the same situation where the washer is captured behind a screwed-in extender? You might like to post some images so our helpful members have a better idea of what you're working with. Let me know if you need a hand uploading pictures.

Mitchell

Hi @MitchellMc

My pictures aren't the best but yes its the same situation and i have no way of changing my washer.

IMG-20240809-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20240809-WA0007.jpg

  

IMG-20240809-WA0005.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Just to confirm, @Thiw, the washer valve is locked in place, and you can't pull it out of the hole as it is larger than it?

If the washer is locked in position and can't be removed, you'll need to unscrew the extender, which prevents its removal. Unfortunately, your fitting has been grouted into place with cement filler, and this would need to be chiselled out to gain access to the external nut.

Sometimes washers can be a bit fiddly to remove, so grab yourself a set of needle-nosed pliers and try to wiggle it out. You might find that the washer only comes out at a very specific angle, and by using your fingers to remove it, you might not be able to angle it correctly. Give it a really good go at trying to wriggle it out with pliers before attempting to remove the copper fitting.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects