Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracked ceramic basin?

jessre21
Just Starting Out

How to repair cracked ceramic basin?

A bottle fell into the corner of my bathroom basin sink and has cracked the ceramics. 

The basin appears to be filled to a point just at the corner of this hole and then hollow. 

Will it be possible to repair this without replacing the whole basin, and if so, how?

308395700_1189346344955787_6042848111565960159_n.jpg308314157_814611136225012_4208908825763199538_n.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair cracked ceramic basin?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jessre21. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a basin.

You could attempt to use PC-11 56g White Epoxy Paste to fill this damage. It's hard to tell how deep that hole is from the photo, but you might need to fill the void before using the epoxy paste. You could squirt a little expanding foam in there or fill the void with something like compacted aluminium foil. You just need to give the paste something to be pushed against so it doesn't all fall into the hole.

I'd suggest filling with the paste to just below the surrounding surface level and allowing it to cure fully. Once cured, you can come back and fill the rest so it is just flush with the surrounding area. You don't want to go out of the damaged area and on top of the surrounding surface. Try and contain the paste to just the affected area. Once the past is cured, you can sand it if needed but take care not to scratch the surrounding ceramic. Also, depending on how much of the hardener you've used, you might need to paint the repaired section white.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects