Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cost effective refresh of tired bathroom

MarkBerridge
Just Starting Out

Cost effective refresh of tired bathroom

image14.jpgWe have two tired bathrooms with laminate (?) waterproof sheeting. Is it possible to paint this to refresh the look and how long does that paint last. Will I need to paint again in 5 years? Trying to get an improved look that lasts ~10 years.

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Cost effective refresh of tired bathroom

Hi @MarkBerridge,

First, let me extend a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have decided to join and ask your bathroom refresh question. You'll find Workshop to be a great source of inspiration and advice on all things DIY and garden. 

Our resident DIY guru @MitchellMc will be back online in a couple of days and he can give advice on longevity of the paint. In the meantime, check out member @RenoRach1's Apartment makeover using paint project as she goes over her full process of painting laminate. Bunnings has also produced a great video about painting benchtops as well, I have attached it below. 

Looking forward to seeing your after photos!

Katie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cost effective refresh of tired bathroom

Hi @MarkBerridge,

The longevity of your painted coating comes down to the effort you put into preparing the surface before painting it and the care you take with it over its lifespan. Make sure you thoroughly clean down the walls and follow the application instructions of your chosen product. 

For a wall surface that is prepared according to instructions and isn't exposed to a tremendous amount of wear and tear, I'd expect to see from five to ten years. Painting surfaces in wet areas should be seen as a budget-friendly option to refresh the area's look. They're not necessarily a permanent solution and could require periodic re-coating like any other painted surface in your home. 

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects