Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to change toilet cistern button?

falpat
Just Starting Out

How to change toilet cistern button?

We are updating our powder room and planning to replace the taps and other hardware with brushed brass. We therefore also need to replace our toilet cistern button too. 

I want to find out if the buttons are interchangable/universal? I think our toilet is a Newport Fowler, that's what it says on the underside of the cistern lid. There's what looks like a G.L on the side too. Below is a picture of the button. 

Can we buy a Caroma brushed brass button to use?

Thanks in advance!

button.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Changing toilet cistern button only

Hi @falpat

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about changing your toilet cistern button. 

The Newport Fowler range was purchased by Caroma back in the early 90s and a great deal of the Fowler range has been discontinued. Although some models and replacement parts are still produced they are made in very limited quantities. A long time ago fowler had brass-coloured toilet push buttons, but I've not seen them for a very long time. 

Because of the issues of availability and compatibility, I suggest exploring the option of spray painting the current toilet buttons into a brass-coloured finish instead. I propose looking at Rust-Oleum Universal Matte Metalic in Sunlit Brass, this spray paint will have to be specially ordered at the special orders desk at the store. To provide an extra layer of protection, I recommend spraying the buttons with a clear satin finish to withstand daily use.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
falpat
Just Starting Out

Re: Changing toilet cistern button only

Ok, thanks. It's a same, I thought they would be interchangable!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects