Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove caulk behind bathroom vanity?

martyjames
Building a Reputation

How to remove caulk behind bathroom vanity?

Hi Guys

Any suggestions how to remove old caulk between bathroom vanity and tiled wall? All the videos i have seen suggest using a utility knife to get it out but its ROCK HARD and nothing will shift it!! Also if i do get it out can you please recommend a suitable caulk thats mould resistant

thanks again

IMG_20240817_123558295.jpgIMG_20240817_123553200.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to Remove old ROCK HARD caulk behind bathroom vanity

Hi @martyjames,

Thank you for your question about removing old silicone behind your bathroom vanity.

I'd suggest grabbing some Selleys Silicone Remover and applying the gel to the silicone following the manufacturer's instructions.

Once the silicone remover has sat for the time specified by the manufacturer, you can use a combination of a utility knife and a Monarch Caulk & Sealant Remover to remove the silicone.

Please ensure you wear gloves, a mask and a long-sleeved work shirt to ensure your safety while carrying out this work.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

martyjames
Building a Reputation

Many thanks Jacob, i'll get some  and try it. Any recommendations of what to re- caullk it with thats not going to go mouldy?

cheers

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @martyjames,

Sorry about that, I missed that part of your original question.

I'd advise using Selleys White Wet Area Waterproof Silicone Sealant which contains a fungicide so there should be no issues with mould.

You might like to check out How To Silicone a Gap for some guidance on this process.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects