Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a stuck spindle?

ihavetime
Just Starting Out

How to remove a stuck spindle?

This spindle was installed by a very strong man I guess. Normal wrench didn't work at all to screw it off. so I bought a set of plumber wrench.  It turned out it even destroyed the plumber wrench by grinding It's edge off without moving a bit. It's not old at all as It's a 3 year new  apt. Anyone has an idea please?

IMG_20230414_154503.jpg

IMG_20230414_154610.jpg

IMG_20230414_154756.jpg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to screw this tough guy off

Hello @ihavetime 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about removing your shower spindle.

I suspect that the spindle threads have binded together due to excessive force applied when it was being tightened. You could in theory use a larger wrench to apply more pressure to the spindle so that it will twist out of the housing. 

However, at this point in time, I suggest engaging the services of a registered plumber. 

Excessive force could damage the spindle housing causing it to twist and create a leak in the copper pipe. A slow leak that in theory would go undetectable. A plumber would have techniques and special tools that would allow them to remove the spindle without damaging the housing.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
iveg
Building a Reputation

Hello I have time,

Have come across this issue often in my job. You could try turning the tap on to the fully open position before you tackle undoing the spindle.

This releases any extra tension on the spindle threads. Use multi grips applied to the unthreaded part of the spindle above the spindle nut. Give the multi grips a quick sharp tap (sharp tap only, do not whack it) at the top of the multi-grips with a hammer and this may release it. 

If this fails I would as EricL has suggested, call in a licensed plumber to get the job done.

Best of luck my friend.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great advice, @iveg. That's my typical method of removal.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
iveg
Building a Reputation

Great minds think alike, thank you Mitch.

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @ihavetime,

Are you sure it's not a left-handed thread?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects