Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why such large pieces of wood behind the walls?

Ms-Shara
Just Starting Out

Why such large pieces of wood behind the walls?

1a.jpeg

1b.jpeg

I have an old shower room that we don’t use and have decided to utilize this space for an extra toilet. Our main bathroom was previously modified for the old owner who had a disability, so this bathroom is an all in one with toilet and shower. This causes a headache when someone is in the shower and someone else needs to use the loo!

I started to remove the thick type partial board off the old shower room wall and discovered large slabs of wood. It looks beautiful but over powering for such a small space. 
My questions are: Do these wood slabs have a purpose? (bracing)
Could I remove them and repurpose them else where?

What type of wood could this be?

Sorry photos have gone sideways for some reason.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Warm regards

Ms-Shara.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Why such large pieces of wood behind the walls?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Ms-Shara. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about wall construction.

It appears to be a lath and plaster wall. Is it plaster that you've been removing? The timber strips serve as a substrate to apply the plaster onto. They likely brace the wall to a certain extent, but you can remove them. However, as with any wall, before starting work on it, you need to check that it is not load-bearing.

You could certainly re-use the timber; it looks like it could be cedar.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects