Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can we convert our shower base to curbless?

Darryl73
Just Starting Out

How can we convert our shower base to curbless?

Hi. We bit the bullet and have started to renovate our bathroom, doing what we can ourselves, and will get in professionals when needed. We had a hob/curb style shower base that is slightly built up inside the pan. I've removed our shower screen and also the hob/curb. It was wet under the curb - does that mean our waterproofing requires repair?

Also, is it possible to convert the shower to be curbless?

16815643270585910098194212500474.jpg

16815643696329168999297620549526.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can we convert our shower base to curbless

Hi @Darryl73,

Being wet under the hob doesn't necessarily mean the waterproofing membrane is compromised. It just means water was leaking down to the membrane. 

It is possible to convert the shower to curbless, but you'll need to install a water stop, just a piece of L-shaped aluminium angle, to prevent water from escaping under your new shower screen. I'd encourage you to get a quote on this work and have a professional assess the situation. If you do happen to damage the membrane, you need to remove all the floor and wall tiles to repair it. You can't simply touch up the damaged section; the entire floor needs to be redone.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the reply Mitchell. There was a thick white flexible fibrous type membrane that went from under the shower base up and over the curb and then back under the floor tiles. Would that be the waterproofing, or is that lower down? The curb bricks seemed to sit directly on the slab floor, so the removal of the curb has also removed that membrane covering the curb. There was water pooled under the curb and membrane after removal of the curb.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That sounds suspiciously like it could have been the membrane @Darryl73. However, there could be one under the concrete screed. I'd recommend having a professional water-proofer come in and check out the situation. Even if you don't get them to do the work, at least they'll be able to let you know what needs to be done.

If there was water pooled under that membrane, it sounds like it was already compromised.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects