Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove a fibreglass bathtub?

mikeyo
Growing in Experience

How to remove a fibreglass bathtub?

I've sliced the surrounding silicon seal, and started chipping away at the surrounding tiles. The tub is starting to loosen up, but the drain end is still rigid, obviously because the drain is still connected.

Unfortunately the drain is plastic, and the cross bars broke away the instant I touched them and so usual methods for removing it are out of the question.

I am looking for advise on:

- How to remove the drain.

- How to remove the bath. It's fibreglass, should I just slice it up with this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-pxc-18v-cordless-reciprocating-saw-pxrss-400-skin-only_p6290473

- How to remove the small 'wall' (highlighted in the pic). I'm guessing it's brick under the tiles.

Just an FYI, this will be a permanent removal of the bathtub so I don't care if it gets damaged (the plan is to retile and grout etc once the bath is gone).PXL_20240730_074452923.jpgtub.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need suggestions for removing a fibreglass bathtub

Hello @mikeyo 

Thanks for sharing your question about removing a bathtub. The plastic bath waste has a large nut holding it in place underneath and is very difficult to remove. The only way to get access to it is to remove the tiled wall of the bath and unscrew it from underneath the bath. I only mention this as your bath seems to be in good condition and could be recycled. 

But if you have no plans to sell or use it again, the Ozito PXC 18V Cordless Reciprocating Saw PXRSS-400 will be more than enough to cut through the fibreglass bath. Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when cutting the bath.

In regards to the side wall of the bath, I suggest chipping away one tile to reveal what is under neath. If it is brick, you'll need a sledgehammer to break the bricks apart. If it is tile sheeting, then it will simply be a timber frame underneath which your reciprocating saw can cut down.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mikeyo
Growing in Experience

Props for the excellent advice. Phase 1 complete (bath removal).

Unfortunately there's a lot of brick and concrete underneath. Smashing through the side wall will be tricky given there's a window that could easily get damaged by either an accidental swing of the sledgehammer, or by flying bits of concrete/brick. Any suggestions to mitigated that are appreciated.

Removing the bricks that are against the vanity will also be tricky. I'm open to suggestions about that, and any other advice you care to share.

Thanks!

PXL_20240731_034543137.jpgPXL_20240731_034547800.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @mikeyo 

I suggest placing an old duvet cover or moving blanket over the brick wall. It is a traditional renovator's trick to prevent material from flying around the room when hammers are being used on brick walls. For further safety, I propose using a Craftright 1.8KG Sledgehammer not as heavy as a standard sledge, but you'll have better control of the swing.

As for the bricks near the vanity, I can only suggest going slowly when removing the bricks so that your vanity will not get damaged.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

mikeyo
Growing in Experience

Thanks Eric, that worked. The small sledgehammer made light work of it, and bashing through an old blanket was a good idea.

I'm so glad I did this myself (with advice from here of course). I'd been quoted $500 to remove the bath and the small wall, and that's WITHOUT any disposal. So far this has cost me a couple of hours work and around $150 for tools and safety equipment. I'm generally pretty handy but never attempted this type of work before.

So far so good! Now I have to dispose of all this brick and concrete somehow.

Thanks again!PXL_20240801_043332317.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Love your work, @mikeyo, and many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

mikeyo
Growing in Experience

Thanks.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects