Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint tapware?

diy_vvv
Getting Established

How to paint tapware?

IMG_7839.jpeg

IMG_7841.jpeg

IMG_7842.jpeg

IMG_7843.jpeg

I’m going for a brushed gold look in my 1970s apartment bathroom. I’ve painted the tap and a rail of my bathtub gold. To prepare the surface for painting, I sanded it down using the sand blocks (pictured). Then painted using rustoleum gold (pictured). 

Unfortunately, this didn’t turn out as I would’ve liked. A week later and there are water marks all over them.

I’d like to try again, but I’m obviously missing a step or not using the correct products. Would appreciate some help!

Thank you. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Painting Tapware

Hello @diy_vvv 

Thanks for sharing your question about your painted tapware and accessories. I'm afraid the gold brushed finish is not up to the water stains being left on the surface. I suggest finding out if you can wash or wipe the stains off with ordinary soap and water.

If you can recover the finish, it will save you from having to repaint and touch up the tapware.  Once the tapware and accessories are back to their original finish, I can only suggest spraying the surface with Rust-Oleum 340g Matt Clear Stops Rust Custom Spray 5 In 1 Spray Paint.

It will provide a tougher surface, but eventually the water stains will appear on its surface. I can only suggest wiping the tap and accessories after each time you shower to prevent the calcium in the water from settling on the surface of the tapware.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects