Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install washing machine in new home?

Penx
Just Starting Out

How to install washing machine in new home?

IMG_8238.jpeg

 Hi,

I’ve just moved into a brand new home and need to install my washing machine. I can only see a hot water tap to connect to, which I have tried, but the washing machine starts but then has an error message “ie” which I believe is inlet error. My understanding is that the water inlet should be from the cold tap. 
How do I do that please?

Many thanks 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: installing washing machine in new home

Hello @Penx 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about installing a washing machine in your new home.

Congratulations in moving into your new home! In this particular situation, I suggest engaging the services of a licensed plumber. Your cold-water line is possibly linked to a pressure reducing/cold water expansion valve. I'm not sure what appliance it is servicing, but it is something that I would not recommend disconnecting.

It's probable that the plumber will install a brass tee connector along with a small washing machine tap to service your washing machine. Please do not reconnect your washing machine to the hot water as this will interfere with your washing machine's natural function.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Penx
Just Starting Out

Thanks! Will do 😊 

stackhat
Cultivating a Following

Hey @Penx 

That’s a mechanical rainwater/mains changeover valve. Use the mini stop valve’s to isolate. Remove the cap I’ve circled in the photo below. Then connect your cold water hose the changeover valve and turn the water back on. 

IMG_3904.jpeg

Penx
Just Starting Out

Awesome, thank you 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects