Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get these taps off to change washer?

andrewr10
Just Starting Out

How to get these taps off to change washer?

I have tried a strap wrench but can't seem to get the grip on the angled tap housing

1000007515.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to get these taps off the change washer

Evening @andrewr10 

They are wicked and evil things Andrew.

See here...

https://www.workshop.bunnings.com.au/t5/Bathroom-and-Laundry/How-to-open-the-tap-to-replace-washer/m...

In my humble opinion, once off, replace them.

Evil.PNG

20230417_110254.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @andrewr10,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

It's great to see you've already received some advice from @Noyade.

This is a fairly common issue that we've seen on Workshop a number of times that is difficult because the angle on the flange plate doesn't allow any tool to get a great grip on it without damaging it. 

It can become stuck for a number of reasons including the use of silicone to fix the flange in place or scale buildup over time. Unfortunately, there is no one perfect solution.

Please have a look through the following examples:

Some potential solutions are: 

• Running a snap-off knife around the gap between the flange and the tiles to release any silicone that may have been used.
  • Soaking it with WD-40 to help release any silicone or scale buildup.
  • Covering a hammer with a softening material such as tape and tapping the flange to release scale buildup.
  • Covering some multigrips with tape to protect the chrome and applying more force to the base of the flange while turning.

Ultimately, if everything else fails, you may need to crush the flange to remove it. This would mean it can't be reused and you would need to replace the taps.

Let me know if this helps and if you require any further assistance.

Jacob

DIYGnome
Becoming a Leader

Hello @andrewr10 🖐

To maximise working space, you're best off removing the handle's grub/set screw so it can be withdrawn off the spindle, then it's just you and the bonnet/cap/cover... a strap wrench is a great idea, thus far I have been lucky enough to remove this component using brute strength alone, clearly this has caused some grief as I note someone went to trouble to design a removal tool. 

DIYGnome_0-1720327523151.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects