Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix toilet odour?

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

How to fix toilet odour?

Hello, hope someone can give some guidance.

I feel like my toilet always smells. It doesn’t matter how much I clean it … I feel it goes away for a bit then returns. I’m always told it doesn’t have an odour but I can tell there’s one. It’s been this way for some time.

Around 5 months ago I noticed the water in the bowl isn’t full and not sure why. It’s not everyday, on and off.

Around 1 month ago I did have an issue which i thought was a blockage and had the plumber out  who did a Jet blast and replaced the toilet. I had an issue with the cistern and he came back and replaced it again as it may of been faulty.

I had forgot to mention the lower water in the bowl.

I don’t know if this could be the cause of the smell?

Some research online talks about a number of things and I have attached a photo of what the cistern looks like inside hoping it will help. At the time of this photo the howl was normal.

Sometimes I notice not all flushes away too.

Anya device would help in anything I can adjust myself before calling out a plumber again.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1674.jpeg

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: toilet odour

Hi @Newgreenthumb 

You would have to think the recently replaced flushing mech isn't also having sticking issues causing the inconsistant flushing, but it is possible. It's also possible due to a poor quality mechanism. These tend to require you hold the buttons down for a full flush to occur as apposed to simply press and releasing. 

Regarding the smell, the cistern is perfectly clean, so no issues there. But it could be because the pan isn't getting enough water to cover the s-trap. Basically the water retained in the bottom of the pan separates the smell from the sewage side. If there isn't enough

water in the pan, leaving an air gap, this is where the smell is most likely coming from.

That Phillips head screw on the top of the cylinder on the right is the float adjustment for how much water the cistern holds. Hopefully there might be some markings on the inside of the tank to indicate the correct level. If need be, turning it clockwise this should increase the water level. If there are no markings set it to about 20mm below the drain opening.

If you're still having issues I would get the plumber back as a warranty call or may be able to talk you through it over the phone. 

Regards, Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-08-18 at 10.18.08 PM.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Newgreenthumb 

Thanks for sharing your question about your toilet suite. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Nailbag. Just to add to the suggestions made, I recommend asking your plumber if it would be a good idea to install a vacum break somewhere along the sewer pipe. What I suspect is happening is that a vacum event is occurring somewhere along your sewer line and is sucking the water seal in your toilet bowl.    

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bandicoot
Getting Established

Re: How to fix toilet odour?

From the look of your cistern, the smell is coming from the sewer.  If the water level is too low after flushing you need to flush again or top it up with a bucket.  If that doesn't work you may have a cracked toilet pan.

We had a smell problem and as it turned out the toilet had been installed without a rubber seal and was overflowing onto the floor under the pan.  As the PVC pipe had been cut off at tile level it drained back in and there was no leakage around the silicon seal between the pan and the tiles, but plenty of smell and some leakage into the wall, damaging the skirting in the adjacent room.  If your plumber replaced the pan he should have fixed everything but surprising he didn't comment; if he only replaced the cistern he wouldn't have known.

@Bandicoot thank you very much. 
I forgot to mention to him that the bowl has less water because it wasn’t happening at the time and I think it slipped my mind. 
the reason why I had him out was because I had a blockage and that was a main concern because I was concerned it was a broken pipe under ground etc

but I did see once he removed the hole pan and there was no water etc. how did you know the water was travelling to the adjoining wall? Was it just the skirting? 

also, the low water doesn’t happen after a flush. It’s more at random times, for example after a flush it’s fine, then I can come back hours later and it’s low. Not sure that makes a difference. I’m going to look at all suggestions and give him a call. 

Newgreenthumb
Building a Reputation

@EricL thank you for your time.

I will look at the options and note the addition of the vacuum break. Never heard of one lol 

thank you.

@Nailbag 

Thank you very much for your detailed response and photo. I will definitely go through the recommendations and do some trouble shooting and call the plumber if I need. 
I appreciate your time. 

If the water level is okay after a flush but drains away afterwards, then you may have a cracked toilet pan, leaking seal (if it is rear discharge type ie through the wall), or you have a vacuum problem as suggested by EricL.  The latter should not be an issue if there is a vent pipe (usually 50mm PVC pipe outside extending above roof line) close to the toilet.  Often the pan will have a 2-3cm hole covered by a plastic plug on the side, where you may be able to look inside and see if it is wet, or if there are any drips.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects