Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix stuck door latch?

Mark270481
Cultivating a Following

How to fix stuck door latch?

Help,this door latch seems to be stuck as I cannot open the door ..removed the handle but cannot seem to find a way to make the latch more so I can open the door ..any help would be appreciated 

IMG_4008.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix stuck door latch?

Hello @Mark270481 

Thanks for sharing your question about your door lock. 

I suggest putting the square axle back into the latch and using locking pliers on the axle and turning it clockwise. If it fails to engage turn in the other direction. If that process fails, I suggest using a Monarch 25mm Scraper between the latch and the striker and see if you can slide the latch open.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @TedBear for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @Mark270481 

Your door issue looks kind of like my gate issue, tho mine is because the fence and the gate are wedged as the fence line has moved with the rain.

Is your door jammed is my first question? That could stop the ability to turn a handle. Id suggest if possible put it together and then leaver the door from the frame pretty much as @EricL has suggested at the same time as turning the handle. Main reason I suggest that is there looks to be very little space between the edge of the door and the frame.

Have you noticed the door scrapping on any of the three edges when opening or closing?

Another reason I am suggesting to put the handle back together is sometimes there are locking pins that also need to be engaged to open the latch. I am not sure if your lock has these.

Dave

Mark270481
Cultivating a Following

Hi Dave ,put the handles back and they turn ..but I think the problem is that the handle is no longer engaging the latch which does not seem to be moving ..

no does not scrape in the edges 

I am going to try what Eric has suggested but am assuming I’ll have to remove this wood piece on the side to get to the latch ? 

image.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Mark270481 

"am assuming I’ll have to remove this wood piece"

That's my assumption as well. I had the same issue with an internal bathroom door. Once off, @EricL 's spatula/scraper method should work - it did for me.

Keep us posted. 👍

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Mark270481,

If you were to follow @EricL's suggestion of using a scraper to activate the latch, you are correct that you would have to remove the timber stop to get access to the latch from that side of the door.

Before going to this extent, I'd suggest considering the cost to replace the latch, versus the cost to replace the door stop.

I'd consider the fact that the latch is potentially not fixable but is very replaceable. If you are comfortable with removing the door stop and reinstalling it yourself, this is certainly an option, but a tubular latch can be replaced very cheaply, whereas returning the door stop to its original condition would involve a much higher cost.

Small misalignments in tubular latches can throw their mechanism out of wack. There may be pressure on the latch at an angle that does not allow the latch to retract. 

I would suggest, as silly as it sounds, using a pair of long-nose pliers to grasp the latch mechanism and shake it semi-aggressively, making sure not to damage the door in the process. This movement may take the pressure off a location in the latch, allowing it to retract. If successful, you'll now have access to the front edge of the door so you can remove it and replace it.

If this is not successful, you could stick a hacksaw blade through the door and cut through the latch as close to the tongue as possible. This should allow you to wiggle the latch free from the inside.

Let me know what you think and if you would like any further clarification.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good thoughts @JacobZ 

I never explained very well above @Mark270481  - but I never removed the wood completely. I pried the wood away - only about 10mm around the latch area - enough to work the spatula trick. When all finished - hammer it back.

Hope that makes sense.

Mark270481
Cultivating a Following

@Noyade :what did you use to pry away the wood ?

Mark270481
Cultivating a Following

Ok,so finally got it done ..this little plastic sheet lying around the house did the job sent it between the door and jamb and pulled down and the door opened .. thank god I did not have to pry the wood away 

thank everyone for all the help ..this community is awesome 

IMG_4034.jpeg

IMG_4033.jpeg

  

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Mark270481,

I'm glad to see you were successful. Thanks for coming back to us and sharing your solution.

Now that you've got it off, you might want to check out How to change a door knob for some guidance on installing a replacement.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects