Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix shower floor cracks?

rojoe
Just Starting Out

How to fix shower floor cracks?

How do I seal the cracks in the shower floor and the sides? Epoxy or caulk or something else? 

08799042-6EED-4F96-99B7-F371FECB0F59.jpeg

DDB07C3B-2A41-4A66-AAEF-177F697BB1DF.jpeg

EB26F0CC-063C-4040-ACFF-1DB88669BF7A.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what to do about my shower floor cracks

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rojoe. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing grout.

You'll need to start by removing the damaged grout, this is to allow space for your new grout and/or silicone. Here's a helpful guide: How to remove grout. If the damaged areas are not too extensive then you can get away with using a hand grout saw instead of a multi-tool.

Once the grout has been removed, you can either replace it with fresh grout by following How to grout tiles, or you can use silicone. Grout is cement-based and rigid, so it is quite susceptible to movement and cracks. Silicone is flexible and better suited to joints that experience movement. However, it does look different than grout, so it's important you select a coloured wet-area silicone that matches the existing grout. Here's another helpful guide: How to apply silicone sealant.

It would be my recommendation that you use silicone on the areas that have cracked to prevent future issues.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects