Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install shower tray on steel frame?

handyman1010
Just Starting Out

How to install shower tray on steel frame?

Hi thank you for your time

Just curious on diy for my shower tray install which is an estilo rear waste 900 x 900 tray, My main question is if you HAVE to recess the lips of the tray into the wall . This is a steel frame build and bathroom is already lined and awaiting waterproof.

However atm i need to fix the shower tray to the corners and was curious on if it needed to be recessed into the wall as ive only seen information on timber framed walls being notched out.

can the tray sit on the wall and be tiled to it or does it need to have that recess. tiler was happy to tile straight to it without the recess and of course waterproof it all prior however i wasn't sure if that was ok and also if it throws out the glass screen at all .

I know the screens are adjustable to a certain extent but wasn't sure

thank you for your help

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to install shower tray on steel frame?

Hello @handyman1010 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your shower tray installation.

Please allow me to make some inquiries with our supplier regarding the shower tray installation on steel studs. I also propose speaking to your plumber who might be familiar with the rules and regulations regarding shower installations in your area. Once we have more information, I'll get back to you.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @handyman1010 

Thank you for your patience. I've sent an email to Estilo and am still waiting for their response. The good news is that my team-mate @JacobZ has found a reference regarding the installation of acrylic shower trays on steel stud walls. Please have a look at the Decina Brochure on page 12 at the bottom.

The Decina shower tray is very similar to the Estilo shower tray. The brochure specifically states, "a steel wall stud should not be cut, it is necessary to build out the wall level to clear the shower base tile bead thickness". 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @handyman1010 

My apologies for the delay in my reply. I am still awaiting the manufacturer to provide details on the installation of the shower base into a steel frame. I've followed up again with them today and look forward to getting you those details as soon as possible.

Many thanks for your patience.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

So, sorry for the delay in our reply @handyman1010. We wanted to ensure that we had the correct information from the manufacture that specifically addressed your situation. 

Tile trays and shower bases are installed the same way and here are the detailed instructions for steel studs.

WALL PREPARATION FOR STEEL STUD WALL FRAMES ON TILE WALL INSTALLATIONS – SEE BELOW

NOTE: As a steel wall stud should not be cut, it is necessary to build out the wall level to clear the shower base tile bead thickness. On top of this a thinner 6mm wet area sheet is installed down inside the tile bead, this will provide support behind the bottom row of tiles. (See instructions below)

• A suitable wet area sheet product of no less than 12mm thickness is required to achieve the desired level. Use of either a 13mm wet area plasterboard or 12mm wet area fibre cement sheet is advised.
  • Install the chosen 12 or 13mm wet area sheet product bottom edge at least 6mm above the tile bead (as per relevant manufacturer’s instructions).
  • Once completed the final 6mm wet area sheet can be installed onto the 12 or 13mm wet area sheet. Ensure the 6mm wet area sheet is installed at least 5-6mm above the shower base for expansion.
  • Once sheeting is completed, use a flexible waterproof sealant (not supplied) to seal the gap between the shower base and the 6mm wet area sheet.

MitchellMc_0-1722489251412.jpeg

Just to translate, you'll need to double sheet the steel studs so the sheet on the outside comes down and into the tray.

I apologise that this has taken some time to get the correct information to you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects