Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix scratched toilet bowl by steel wool?

aloughnan5
Just Starting Out

How to fix scratched toilet bowl by steel wool?

Help our cleaners used a steel wool scrubber in the toilet bowl & have scratched the bowl. Any advice please on how to fix or should I tell them they will be replacing it?

IMG_5981.jpeg

74098434703__350AD384-423A-4ED8-BC31-FAC5ED48612B.jpeg

  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix scratched toilet bowl by steel wool?

Hello @aloughnan5 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about fixing your scratched toilet bowl.

I propose using Bar Keepers Friend 737ml Liquid Soft Cleanser. It is effective at removing rust stains, metal tarnish, mineral deposits, soap scum, and everyday grime.

The toilet water in the pan must first be removed, this can be achieved by using a small hand pail and scooping the water out or using large rags to soak the water out. The area to be treated must be dry otherwise the cleanser will dissipate and not be totally effective.

Once you have all the water out and the pan is dry, grab a dry clean rag and place some cleanser on the affected area. Allow the cleanser to soak for a minute before you start wiping it clean. Vigorously rub the metal scratches until they totally disappear.

If the damage is too deep, I'm afraid it can't be patched or repaired, and the pan will need to be replaced. Please note that you must refill the toilet pan with water after your attempt, this is to prevent sewer gasses from entering your home.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as disposable gloves and goggles when working on your repairs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects