Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix leaking downpipe?

PatDIY_Dad
Building a Reputation

How to fix leaking downpipe?

This should be a easy fix but just want to ensure I am not missing anything

The right angle join is leaking as you can clearly see

Is this just a matter of screwing through the pop rivets and pulling out the horizontal piece and applying some silicone ( which I have already) and pushing it back in and pop rivet back on?

PXL_20240709_224631618.MP.jpg 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Fix leaking down pipe

Hi @PatDIY_Dad,

Unfortunately, I doubt it will be that easy. This type of dog leg is typically constructed from a single piece of downpipe. A series of cuts are made in it so it can be folded into this shape. Typically, the water free-flows through the downpipe, and very little leaks out the cut sections. Due to this horizontal portion being level, the water is likely pooling inside and weeping out the rear joint. So, I don't believe you'll find that the horizontal section can simply be removed.

You might have to remove the whole section of the downpipe and try to do a bandage solution of applying flashing tape over the cut joint. You could run a bead of silicone along it first for an added layer of protection. It would be worth doing the front join as well.

Adding a band-aid solution from the outside is never the best solution and repairs are better done from inside. You could drill out the pop-rivets and try to get some silicone inside as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Fix leaking down pipe

Hi yeh thats what I was going to try and do

Ive seen someone make their own angles with the downpipe but never did it myself ( its kind of like origami paper )

Ill just see if I can somehow make an opening big enough to fit my silicone gun inside it

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects