Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix bathroom tap that wont turn?

HD
Finding My Feet

How to fix bathroom tap that wont turn?

My problematic tap in a place I recently bought has finally stopped turning even without a wrench, which means I can’t access cold water and since I can’t change temp

of hot alone, can’t shower! Argh. 

Seems to have been done badly, with the base set into the tiling and also not centred, making it currently impossible for me to turn it to change the washer (hoping that fixes it). 

No expert here but think it’s Brass too, so any tools I use are somewhat threading or at least damaging it. Tried to budge it and I can’t. 

any advice very welcome please as ideally I can fix it myself, but also can’t get a plumber out for 5 days anyway (by which point my hair will be stuck to my head). 

- any advice on best tool to get that thing off? 
- would WD-40 help? I don’t have any but happy to visit local Bunnings 

Any other advice? I’ve also bought this pack so hoping it’s the solution but if anyone knows more, appreciate it. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bathroom tap that wont turn :(

Hi @HD,

Thank you for your question about removing a tap spindle so you can replace the washers.

Also, a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you join us.

There's a good chance that it has locked up due to scale buildup over time or overtightening upon install. Applying WD-40 will often help to loosen things up a bit and unbind the threads. I'd suggest soaking the base of the spindle with WD-40 using the straw attachment to direct it as close to the connection as possible. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the WD-40 to do its thing.

You should then use either long handled multigrip pliers or a long-handled pipe wrench to tightly grip the hexagonal nut section of the spindle (near the red washer) and rotate the spindle anti clockwise. The longer the handle, the more torque you can apply to rotate the spindle off. 

You should also get some benefit from applying percussive force by tapping the head of the wrench with a hammer while you rotate.

You might also like to have a read through How to remove a stuck spindle? for some additional advice.

Let me know what you think and if you require further assistance.

Jacob

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @HD 

"any advice on best tool to get that thing off?

As per all of the above - but also, do you have a pipe spanner? Worth trying?

20230610_135905.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade,

Thanks for that, they completely slipped my mind.

A set like this Trojan 5 Piece Metric Tube Spanner Set should cover all bases in terms of size.

Jacob

HD
Finding My Feet

Thanks all! I got some WD-40 and a multi fit tap spanner set from Bunnings but even after spraying it 4 times it out WD 40 and trying lots of ways to get it to turn, it hasn’t budged even a mm. 

any other suggestions? I will try heat it with my hair dryer tomorrow but just don’t get the sense it wants to move at all. 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Well, that's a shame HD.

Maybe time for a plumber?

Googling...

"multi fit tap spanner set"

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=multi+fit+tap+spanner+set

May I suggest what @JacobZ recommended above. The bar in the kit above is too small and the concertinaed approach too flimsy.

You need a long bar for better leverage.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @HD,

As @Noyade has mentioned, you could grab a Metal Mate 19 x 1.2 1m Galvanised Steel Round Tube and slot it over the small bar on the tap spanner to increase the amount of leverage you have. 

Unfortunately, if you don't have any luck with this, like Noyade has said, it may be time for a plumber. If the spindle is completely seized and cannot be removed, they will be able to use more destructive measures to get the spindle off, then reinstate the water supply line to its original condition.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects