Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix a my vanity top that is starting to bubble and separate from the base around the sink?

Samiaa
Finding My Feet

How do I fix a my vanity top that is starting to bubble and separate from the base around the sink?

Hello, my vanity top has started to bubble and separate from the base around the sink, due to water damage from the gap around the tap. How can I fix the bubbling and fill the gap around the tap? Thank you. 

1000093645.jpg

1000093643.jpg

1000093642.jpg

1000093644.jpg

  

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fix a my vanity top that is starting to bubble and separate from the base around the si

Hi @Samiaa,

Many thanks for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

It looks like the silicone around your basin and tap hole has worn out and needs to be replaced.

I would suggest removing the old silicone using a utility knife to cut it free from the surface beneath. Make sure you wear the relevant personal protective equipment and take all necessary precautions while working with knives. Specifically, gloves, a long sleeve work shirt and eye protection.

Once the old silicone is removed, clean the area thoroughly using a Mr Clean Handheld Iron Scrub Brush and CLR Calcium Lime Rust Remover.

Once cleaned, grab a tube of SikaSeal Kitchen And Bathroom Silicone Sealant, a caulking gun and some silicone scrapers.

Apply a bead of silicone around the sink and tap hole, ensuring the bead is large enough to completely cover the gap. Once the bead is in place, strike off the excess using the silicone scrapers to create a clean finish.

Caulking is a reasonably simple task, but it is always important to have a bucket of water and plenty of paper towels handy for clean-up, as it can be quite messy.

You might like to have a look at How To Silicone a Gap for some further guidance.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with.

Jacob

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I fix a my vanity top that is starting to bubble and separate from the base around the si

Hi @Samiaa,

My apologies, I missed the part about the bubbling in the bench top. 

This is caused by water getting into the chipboard inside the benchtop which will then swell. 

Unfortunately, there is no way to fix this without replacing the benchtop.

You might like to have a look at our range of Kaboodle Benchtops which can be made to measure as potential options for replacement.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist with.

Jacob

Thank you Jacob for your help. I will definitely try to follow your advice and get it sorted. Thank you once again.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects