Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a toilet bowl leak?

HaruS
Finding My Feet

How to fix a toilet bowl leak?

Hi, 

I would like to know how to fix a leak in my toilet bowl. A week ago I noticed that when I fully flush my toilet, water would continue running and I would need to keep pressing to button to “unstuck” the flush. But now I noticed it got progressively worse and worse so I decided to open it up (one of button appears to have been broken). After putting it back together, I noticed that the water does not stop running after a full flush even after I keep pressing the buttons. 

IMG_1164.jpeg

IMG_1162.jpeg

IMG_1161.jpeg

  

your help and insights would be greatly appreciated. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a toilet bowl leak?

Hello @HaruS 

Thanks for sharing your question about fixing a leak in your toilet set. If your toilet is several years old, it's possible that mineral deposits have attached itself to the body of the flushing valve. This deposit can cause the flushing mechanism to get stuck specifically the sliding portions of the flushing valve. What was once a smooth surface is now a rough calcium covered surface which now locks onto one another instead of sliding along.

Hence when flushing you sometimes need to push again and jiggle it to get it unstuck. It's also possible that the plastic pushing posts of the flushing buttons have worn out or got bent. 

Before proceeding, just a friendly reminder that any plumbing work will need to be done by a licensed plumber.    

Your flushing valve can be replaced, looking carefully at your set it looks like it's a CAROMA WD04900P Dual Flush Valve ATS460. This part will need to be specially ordered at the store's special orders desk. Please note that the top portion of your old flushing valve which is the flushing guide will need to be transferred to your new flushing valve. 

Once the flushing valve has been replaced make sure to test it before covering the cistern. Your flush buttons and posts appear to be in good condition, I suggest reusing them.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
HaruS
Finding My Feet

Hi Eric,

Thanks and really appreciate the response above. In addition to the above, how can I check that the fill valve also doesn’t have an issue? I saw some other posts/responses in this forum that I need to let the cistern fill up first and then turn off the valve to check. However, when the water is leaking the cistern doesn’t get chance to fill up at all. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @HaruS,

If the fill valve (inlet valve) has an issue, it will fill the cistern right up to the very top and then water will overflow into the pan. So, if the water starts immediately entering the pan after you flush instead of filling the cistern, you know the culprit is the outlet flush valve, not the inlet valve.

Mitchell

Cheers for that Mitchell! 

Just an another question what is this red tab for? 

IMG_1185.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @HaruS 

That switch is to adjust the full flush timing in the flushing valve. I don't recommend adjusting it as it has been set to work with your cistern capacity. Putting it on the incorrect setting could interfere with your toilets flushing action.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects