Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a mess in a melamine cabinet?

DIYHaveaCrack
Building a Reputation

How to fix a mess in a melamine cabinet?

I have chosen to renovate my bathroom melamine cabinet (as I am not in a position to replace it and it is structurally sound)

Sink and cupboard sideSink and cupboard sideDrawer sideDrawer side

however the closer one looks one can see what a shoddy job they did when installing it! They have obviously just hacked away at it when fitting the sink pipe. It's an area that you don't really see (as one side is hidden by the drawers) but I would like to at least tidy it up so its not so unsightly. I wondered if there was a 'putty' of some kind that I could shape to fit the space to at least close the gap. Then I could sand it back and paint it when I paint the rest of the cupboard (painting the inside as well as outside). Or some kind of melamine sheet or patch that I could glue on? Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a mess in a melamine cabinet?

Hi @DIYHaveaCrack 

Thanks for sharing your question about fixing the cut out in your melamine cabinet. There are a few items you can use to repair the rough cut out. 

First, I suggest having a look at the Kinetic 295 x 210mm White Flat Self Adhesive Cover Plate. This can be cut using a craft knife to emulate that shape you are trying to cover. Plumbers often use this to repair oversized cut outs.

Next is Sika 500ml Boom Expanding Foam Filler. It can be cut sanded and painted over. My only suggestion when using this product is to use masking tape on one side to prevent it from overflowing on the other side.

The third product I recommend is Builder's Bog. It easily bonds to timber and can be shaped, cut, and sanded like timber. 

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when repairing your cabinet.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to fix a mess in a melamine cabinet?

Good morning @DIYHaveaCrack 

I see Dodgy bro inc has been working at your place 😕 

I dont know if I would try and fill with putty as it would be very hard to get a nice finish and may crack? 

How about a cover to go over the pipe on either side? That way the pipe hole is coverd and can be removed if needed.

Mounting block or Mounting block covers are something that could be modified (cut out the base) while giving a smooth and clean surface. 

If its just a cosmetic look then that adhesive cover sheet that @EricL mentioned would be perfect. (use a piece of soft cardboard to get the cutout shape right before cutting the more solid sheet)

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects