Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove this tap handle?

Honeywood
Just Starting Out

How to remove this tap handle?

Hi.

This is the tap and the tool to undo the handle. My problem i the tool always slips out of the socket hole when I apply pressure. Also, which way do I apply pressure to unscrew it -clockwise or anticlockwise ?

Honeywood.

IMG_1352.JPGIMG_1353.JPG

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to remove this tap handle?

Afternoon/Evening @Honeywood 

Once the tool is positioned and as you look down - turning should be clockwise - to undo it.

I personally have had limited success with the tool due to significant calcification of tap components and it's rather fragile design.

I had the same taps as the guy in the video - I think he was very lucky. I removed (eventually) mine and replaced them with taps that have the locking srcew at the top and visible.

With the water supply turned off and the tap turned completely on - can you undo the flange and expose enough space for a shifter or an open ended spanner to completely remove the tap? That way you may have better luck with that tool.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove this tap handle?

Hello @Honeywood 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about removing your tap handle with the hidden fixing.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade. You're going in the right direction as you have the proper tool to disassemble it. Sometime calcium deposits lock the nut in place, and it takes several tries before the hidden fixing comes loose. 

I can only recommend to keep going and keep trying until you get a good hold of the fixing and turn slowly. One other technique you can try is to slot the tool in place and keep your tool hand firm, then turn the handle instead.

I also suggest having a look at this guide: How to replace a tap washer

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the tap handle removed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects