Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix Caroma cistern constantly leaking despite washer and inlet valve replacement?

jenyushaw
Finding My Feet

How to fix Caroma cistern constantly leaking despite washer and inlet valve replacement?

Hi all,

Trying to fix a leaking Caroma cistern. The leak is definitely coming from the outlet valve (checked with food dye). I've replaced the inlet valve, the seating washer and cleaned the entire cistern making sure there's no debris that could cause a leak.

It works well, but every 1-2 weeks, the toilet will start to leak to the point the inlet valve starts to hiss again. 

I've tried

1. Replacing inset valve
  2. Replacing seating washer (multiple times and used soapy water to ensured it was well fit)
  3. Cleaned the cistern of debris
  4. Ensured the water level is correct (hence this is not an overflow leak)
  5. Ensured no other leak from the cistern hardware.

The outlet valve is an old one and there's no replacement options that I can find. 

Am I left with replacing the entire cistern? Is there anything else I’m missing!? This is driving me crazy and I’d love any opinions. 

IMG_6313.jpeg

IMG_6314.jpeg

IMG_6315.jpeg

IMG_6316.jpeg

Thanks!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Caroma Cistern Constantly Leaking Despite Washer and Inlet Valve Replacement

Hi @jenyushaw,

Thank you for your question.

You've been extremely thorough in your work up to this point, so the only possible answer I can see is the outlet valve.

Without knowing the exact model of the cistern, it would be difficult to point you towards a suitable replacement valve, however, this FIX-A-LOO Thunderflush Dual Flush Cistern Outlet Valve has dual buttons that sit at a front, central position and is compatible with Caroma Sovereign cisterns produced between 1982 and 1995 which looks fairly similar to your cistern.

Outside of this, it is likely you would need to replace the cistern.

Allow me to tag @Noyade, @Dave-1 and @redracer01 to see if they have any thoughts.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Caroma Cistern Constantly Leaking Despite Washer and Inlet Valve Replacement

Good Evening @jenyushaw 

Arghhhhhh you have taken me back to my horror as well :smile: Good news it is fixable and better news is @JacobZ has given you the replacement part.

I went through trying to replace washers, tinker, adjust my cistern and then in the middle of the night randomly and frequlently Id hear the "Swoosh" of the flush going off... Drove me nuts. In the end a Bunnings person said "why dont you replace the whole valve system?" I hate waste was one reason plus didnt want to shell out $$ to buy a replacement one. Turns out I was lucky as my replacement was around the $30 or $40 mark. 

It solved the issue to the point that when my second toilet started doing the same, no washer replacement for me this tiem! :smile: bought the replacement part and done!

Dave

Thank you all for you assistance. I’ll buy this replacement and see if it works and update this tread with progress! 

jenyushaw
Finding My Feet

Re: How to fix Caroma cistern constantly leaking despite washer and inlet valve replacement?

Quick update for any who has a similar cistern. This model of outlet valve (https://www.bunnings.com.au/fix-a-loo-thunderflush-dual-flush-cistern-outlet-valve_p4790780) unfortunately doesn’t fit! 

The leak hasn’t happened for a week now… so I guess there’s time to find a proper replacement. 

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to fix Caroma cistern constantly leaking despite washer and inlet valve replacement?

Evening @jenyushaw 

Ugh 😕 thank you for the update tho as Im sure it will others. What wa sthe last thing you modified before the leak stopped? :smile: Shhhhh dont mention it too loudly :smile:

Dave

Hi @jenyushaw,

If the leak does continue and you're unable to find the model of your cistern, then the easiest option might be to replace it entirely with a new cistern. At least that way, you'll have all new parts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects