Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can water proofing material be directly applied onto brick walls in shower area in a bathroom?

YL
Community Newcomer

Can water proofing material be directly applied onto brick walls in shower area in a bathroom?

Hi,

Is it ok to apply water proofing material directly onto brick walls in shower areas?

the brick walls do not have the smooth surface like cement boards and I worry that this will not  have the best result. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can water proofing material be directly applied onto brick walls in shower area in a bathroom?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @YL. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about waterproofing.

It is possible to apply waterproofing material directly onto brick walls in a shower area, but it’s generally not recommended for the best long-term results. Brick surfaces, especially in older homes, tend to be uneven and porous, which can make it difficult for the waterproofing membrane to properly adhere. This can create weak points where water could eventually seep through, leading to potential moisture damage behind the wall. A more effective solution is to first install a flat substrate like Villaboard over the brickwork. This provide a smooth, stable surface that allows for proper waterproofing application and creates a solid base for tiling. This method ensures a more secure, longer-lasting result and helps avoid issues that may arise from water penetrating through the waterproofing layer.

Given the importance of getting the waterproofing correct in a shower area, I’d strongly recommend consulting a licensed professional waterproofer. They can assess your situation and suggest the best approach to ensure the area is fully sealed and compliant with building standards. Waterproofing is a crucial step in any bathroom renovation, and expert guidance can help avoid costly repairs down the line due to water damage.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects