Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill gap from removed cornice?

Bea12
Finding My Feet

How to fill gap from removed cornice?

Hello

I have overhead cupboards for the laundry to be installed up to the ceiling. We took down the cornice to accommodate the installation. My question is how do I close the gap that was covered by the cornice? After taking down the corniceAfter taking down the cornice

Many thanks.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill gap from removed cornice?

Hi @Bea12,

Thank you for your question about filling gaps in the plasterboard where you've removed your cornice.

If you are covering these voids with overhead cupboards, there is no real need to fill the gaps as they wouldn't be seen. 

Is your concern with the gaps possibly to do with creepy crawlies that could move in and out of them?

If so, you can cut slivers of plasterboard the same thickness as your wall sheets, attach them to the studs with Zenith 6G - 18 x 30mm Needle Point Gold Passivated Plasterboard Screws then apply Multi-Purpose Joint Compound with Paper Jointing Tape using an Internal Corner Trowel. You'll notice the paper tape has a line down the centre of it so it can be creased down the centre for corners like this.

Check out page 93 of The Red Book #2 Residential Installation for some guidance on setting internal plasterboard corners.

After everything is dry, and with a Trojan 120 Grit Angled Sanding Sponge then paint to match the wall.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

As a new home owner, I thought it would not comply with the building standards if I leave it like that. 

Thanks you so much for the help. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's fine to leave it as is, @Bea12; there are no issues with building codes. It's more of an aesthetic issue if it can be seen, or, as @JacobZ mentioned, stopping creepy crawlies from entering.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects