Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill a 70mm gap between tiles and shower?

mahler_martin
Getting Established

How to fill a 70mm gap between tiles and shower?

Hi all, 

I have a 70 mm gap between tiles and the shower due to the installation of a new shower that was smaller. It's too small to add tiles and too large to use standard grout. It is normally covered by a washing machine so not overly visible. I need something that is not porous and the only item that I can think of is construction grout (FOSROC). If anyone has any advice I would be greatful.

Cheers

Martin

Re: How to fill a 70mm gap between tiles and shower?

Thank you @CSParnell 

Hi @mahler_martin,

It's great to see our helpful members have been assisting. I just wanted to ensure you're aware that you don't appear to have any waterproofing in place here. I'm unsure whether there was any in the first place, but the exposed timber on the floor and wall is a bit concerning. A tile or water-impermeable surface will not resolve that issue for you. There must be one solid layer of waterproofing membrane across the bathroom floor and up the walls.

If building to code is not a real concern, then I'd agree that a tile border would look quite nice around the perimeter of the shower to cover the timber.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc 

There is waterproofing membrane underneath the floor tiles (besides the exposed bit and underneath / behind the shower. I will seek advice from a registered builder on requirements re: code.

Martin

Great advice @MitchellMc 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects