Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fill a 70mm gap between tiles and shower?

mahler_martin
Getting Established

How to fill a 70mm gap between tiles and shower?

Hi all, 

I have a 70 mm gap between tiles and the shower due to the installation of a new shower that was smaller. It's too small to add tiles and too large to use standard grout. It is normally covered by a washing machine so not overly visible. I need something that is not porous and the only item that I can think of is construction grout (FOSROC). If anyone has any advice I would be greatful.

Cheers

Martin

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fill a 70mm gap between tiles and shower?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community Martin (@mahler_martin). It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling a gap.

If you could provide our helpful members with some images of the area you'd like to fill, they'd be better informed and able to offer useful suggestions. Please let me know if you need any assistance uploading images.

Have you considered cutting tiles to fit the 70mm gap? Or, if you're not keen on cutting tiles, perhaps you could run some 62mm wide subway tiles up the gap?

I'll be keenly awaiting those images and look forward to assisting.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell, 

Much appreciated on the fast response. I pondered on cutting tiles but don't have any of the tiles left and would love to avoid a mix. I will share images when I get home tonight. 

Cheers

Martin

Hi @MitchellMc 

Photos as below. My apologies, the gap ranges from 45 mm to 55mm. Tiles are installed on an angle - prior to me purchasing it. I will probably retile in the coming years. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Martin

MicrosoftTeams-image (16).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (14).jpgMicrosoftTeams-image (15).jpg

Thanks for the photos @mahler_martin

@MitchellMc will be back on the site on Friday. Our other resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL is also unfortunately not working today but will be back tomorrow. 

Thanks for your patience in the meantime. Let me tag some other helpful members in @JDE@CSParnell and @TedBear to see how they would tackle the job.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @mahler_martin, my first thought ( without seeing the actual situation) world be to fill the fill the gap with black mortar. That will bring the level up and can be sealed against water. (The colour is just a suggestion, make it to suit the surroundings. )

CSParnell
Amassing an Audience

Thanks for the tag @Jason , @mahler_martin I am assuming that is a top down image and we are looking at the floor tiles?

If it is just a gap of tiles missing and there is no difference on level then look to glue in a border tile. If there is a level difference you can bed it with morter or even hebal block then water proof membrane and glue tiles on.

Some options there but some more info and we can give some more detailed advice.

Carl

Thanks @TedBear - I pondered on mortar but ideally wanted something that was not porous as a washing machine would be sitting immediately above it. 

Hi Carl @CSParnell 

Yes, birdseye view, an angled pic is below. There is no level difference. I will look into border tiles. Thank you. 

Martin

MicrosoftTeams-image (14).jpg

@mahler_martin boarder tile will be the go, tile glue them in, grout into the existing tiles and bathroom silicon into the shower hob.

Keep us in the loop

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects