Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to enclose hot water system with cupboard?

ryanc
Just Starting Out

How to enclose hot water system with cupboard?

IMG_1879.jpeg

Hi, I’m looking to enclose the hot water system in my laundry. I was thinking of enclosing the system with a cupboard. Any suggestions? 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to enclose hot water system with cupboard?

Hi @ryanc,

Many thanks for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The best method of enclosing your hot water system would be to box it out with timber framing and install a door for access. 

This would be quite an involved process requiring framing, sheeting, plastering, hanging a door, installing trims and architraves and finally painting. If you are confident in your skills, there's no reason you couldn't achieve it, but you might like to consider having a carpenter or handyman do it for you.

You should start by ensuring you are aware of the spacing, setback and ventilation requirements around your hot water system. You can check the manufacturer's installation guide to see if there are any requirements you'll need to take into account.

Once requirements are confirmed, you can build a frame out of 70x35 H2 Pine, using framing nails to fix everything together. You might like to look at hiring an Impulse Frame Master Gas Nailer to frame up your walls. 

Remember to take into account a door when designing your frame. Your frame will require a suitably wide opening to accommodate the door as well as a header.

Once the frame is up, you can install the plasterboard. I propose you use Gyprock Aquachek Plasterboard to line the stud wall. This is a water-resistant plasterboard that can be used in wet areas such as a laundry.

When the plasterboard is all hung, you can install the door jambs and door, followed by architraves and skirting and finally paint.

You might like to check out our Door Installation service for some assistance with this part of your project. This can be organised through the Special Orders desk at your local Bunnings store.

Here are some resources that you might like to look at for some guidance on the different steps of your project:

As you'll see it's quite an involved process, but if you break it down into individual steps, it is certainly achievable.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any thoughts @Dave-1, @PlumbMaster-Zee, @Jewelleryrescue

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

PlumbMaster-Zee
Building a Reputation

Hi Ryanc,

I’ve been called into the fray by @JacobZ so here are my thoughts. I share most of his sentiments.

Enclosing your hot water system with a cupboard in your laundry can be a great way to improve the appearance of the space. Here are some steps and considerations to help you with this project:

Steps to Enclose a Hot Water System with a Cupboard:

1. Measure the Space: Measure the dimensions of the hot water system and the space around it. Make sure to account for some clearance space for ventilation and access to the system for maintenance.

2. Choose Materials: Select suitable materials for the cupboard. Melamine or plywood are good options for a laundry environment. Ensure the materials are durable and moisture-resistant.

3. Design the Cupboard: Design the cupboard to have adequate ventilation. You can include louvered doors (optional) or ventilation grills (optional) to ensure proper airflow around the hot water system. This is crucial to prevent overheating and ensure the system operates efficiently.

4. Access Panels: Incorporate access panels or doors that allow easy access to the hot water system for maintenance and repairs. Ensure these panels can be easily opened and closed.

5. Build the Frame: Start by building the frame of the cupboard. Use sturdy timber or metal framing to ensure it can support the weight and is stable.

6. Install the Panels: Attach the panels to the frame, leaving the necessary openings for ventilation and access. Ensure all panels are securely fixed and aligned properly.

7. Secure the Cupboard: Once the cupboard is assembled, secure it to the wall and floor if necessary to prevent any movement or tipping. Use appropriate fasteners and brackets.

8. Finishing Touches: Add any finishing touches such as paint, handles, and trims to match the rest of your laundry decor.

Considerations:

Ventilation: Proper ventilation is crucial. Ensure there is enough space for air to circulate around the hot water system to avoid any issues with overheating.

Access for Maintenance: Design the cupboard with easy access in mind. You will need to reach the controls, valves, and any other components for regular maintenance.

Relief Valve Access: Ensure there is sufficient space and easy access to the relief valve. The relief valve is a critical safety feature and needs to be readily accessible for regular checks and potential servicing. Safety: Make sure the enclosure does not interfere with any safety features of the hot water system. Check the manufacturer’s guidelines for any specific clearance requirements.

Professional Advice: If you are unsure about any part of the process, it might be a good idea to consult with a professional. They can provide guidance on best practices and ensure the enclosure is safe and functional.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Zee

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @ryanc

I was wondering if there is a cupboard below the heater? Some things I would keep in mind in encloseing teh system is mainenence needed for the tank. The check valve should be released once a year and access could be required for the element to be removed. The last one that comes to mind is the warmth the heater generates being contained in a cupboard.

I like what @JacobZ has suggested but would add areas that can be accessed to do the two things I suggested.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects