Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add an extra garden tap?

zillah
Cultivating a Following

How to add an extra garden tap?

Dear folks

Not in rush but thinking to have an extra garden tap for my side walkway garden and I am looking to get it supplied from the supplied pipe to my hot water system.

I have got one way valve which showing it arrow in the attached photos

I have feeling I can do it,,,,I have most of the tools

1-I am thinking to use press water fittings ? or any other suggestion ?

2-Is there a tee fitting than has one way valve ? I haven't browsed Bunnings yet

3-

ThxIMG_4441.jpgIMG_4442.jpgIMG_4443.jpgArrow showing one way vavleArrow showing one way vavleIMG_4445.jpgIMG_4446.jpgIMG_4447.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need an extra garden tap for my garden

Hello @zillah 

Thank you for sharing your question about adding another garden tap in your garden. Just a friendly reminder that any plumbing work must be done by a licensed plumber. In this instance, I recommend engaging the services of licensed plumber so that your garden tap is installed to code. 

In regards to your questions it's probable that the plumber will be using brass fittings in combination with soldering as this is an outdoor application and it must be able to withstand the elements. Push or press fittings are not rated for outdoor use. It's also very likely that the plumber will install a one-way valve or a garden tap that has a vacum fitting on it like the Brasshards 15mm T Head Hose Tap with Vacuum Breaker. I suspect that the plumber will not be tapping into that plumbing line as it is linked to your hot water cylinder and will not risk the interruption of the flow of water into the unit.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
zillah
Cultivating a Following

Re: Need an extra garden tap for my garden

Thx Eric for your advice and informative details

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects