Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add an ensuite?

CapeHoney
Finding My Feet

How to add an ensuite?

Can anyone advise me on a starting point for getting a second bathroom/toilet (ensuite) for my home?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can anyone advise me on a starting point for getting a second bathroom/toilet (ensuite) for m...

Hi @CapeHoney,

Thank you for your question about adding a second bathroom to your home.

Was the plan to add an extension to the home? Or to simply renovate the existing space to add a bathroom or ensuite?

The likely place to start is with your local council to find out your requirements in terms of building approval. The next step after contacting your council is to get in touch with a draftsman and a builder. They will be able to assist with the design and construction of the bathroom to ensure you are in line with the relevant legislation and building codes.

If you are looking for a place to start in terms of designing a new bathroom, uploading some images of the proposed space would help our members offer their advice based on the specifics of your situation. You can also check out How to plan a bathroom renovation for some guidance on designing a new bathroom and our Top 10 most popular bathroom projects for some inspiration.

Also, allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any advice or inspiration they can offer, @ProjectPete, @Nailbag, @Dave-1.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Can anyone advise me on a starting point for getting a second bathroom/toilet (ensuite) for m...

Good Evening @CapeHoney 

Only a few things I can add to @JacobZ's suggestions

If you know where your sewage and water services are and have acces sto underneath your house then you can start formning ideas. Then contact a builder with them and see what is feasable. If you dont have access to where they are under the house then I would be thinking of having the new bathroom backing onto the older one tho this may entail expensive concrete cutting. A builder to be contacted again with your ideas on this one.

Getting an idea where your services are and working with them may save you money when building a new room.

A sketch of your house plan with existing services marked would be a good place to start and would help our suggestions :smile:

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: Can anyone advise me on a starting point for getting a second bathroom/toilet (ensuite) for my h

Hi @CapeHoney 

I would look at getting the advice from a local draftsperson. They have the qualifications and experience to know what's possible both from a structural perspective and design. They will also be the person to put the plans together for quotations and submission to council for the building permit when your ready to go ahead.

Nailbag

CapeHoney
Finding My Feet

Re: Can anyone advise me on a starting point for getting a second bathroom/toilet (ensuite) for my h

Thanks @JacobZ@Dave-1 and @Nailbag.

Roger

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects